Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Synthetic engine oil 6 years 11 months ago #177872

Is 5 w 40 synthetic oil OK with the T/F K series engine?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Synthetic engine oil 6 years 11 months ago #177873

YES
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Synthetic engine oil 6 years 11 months ago #177875

I've been using fully synthetic 5W40 in my F's engine for 6 years now.
Mark
95 MGF

Synthetic engine oil 6 years 11 months ago #177879

This subject of oil type comes up on a few motoring forums and I suppose it's all down to personal choice . My employer once sent me on an oil monitoring course with Castrol . As we had a large fleet of both HGV's and cars and as Castrol was our oil supplier they suggested that rather than changing engine oil on a basis of mileage where some vehicles covered higher mileage than others , the vehicles should have oil samples taken where Castrol would test it and flag up if a certain vehicle needed a change due to the break down of the lubricant. This type of monitoring saved the company I worked for thousands of pounds over the years. Many years down the line and due mainly to the complexities of modern commercial diesel engines Castrol advised a change onto fully synthetic oil. During this course I enquired about using fully synthetic oil in my Metro GTI ( remember them ?) as the 'K' series that it had was at the time being praised by the motoring press . I was told that semi synthetic 10 / 40 oil was perfectly suited to that engine and that only if the engine was going to be raced / rallied would there be a need for fully synth to be used. I think the comment used was why waste your money on the higher spec oil . During my time working for The London Taxi Company , Morris lubricants were the choice for the Black Cab . Again I asked about the choice of oil for my then MG ZR . Same answer Semi Synth 10/40 .
If you can afford the higher spec oil then ok . My only sticking point with oil is the quality of the brand as I never go for the cheaper supermarket type brand .

John

Synthetic engine oil 6 years 11 months ago #177908

Personally for me its Castrol Magnatec 10/40 with an original spec oil filter for my MG,s every 6k or so. Usually can get it on offer if you shop around. Annoying thing is most oil seems to be sold in 4L containers now rather than 5L which would have been more economical given the MG,s take approx. 4.5L.

Synthetic engine oil 6 years 11 months ago #177910

From what I understand any oil that meets the requirements for temperature works with the k series, with exception of the VVC which is designed around one oil grade and generally best to stick to it.

Last edit: Post by Maddog1950.

Synthetic engine oil 6 years 11 months ago #177927

I use Shell Helix 5W40 for that reason, it comes in 5L.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/engineoils/5w40-engine-oil/?521772211&&cc5_248

Synthetic engine oil 6 years 11 months ago #178010

I use Fuchs pro s 5w40 fully synthetic I am running a fairly tuned engine

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT