Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine age from number? 7 years 1 month ago #176929

Hi, New member with a TF160. Just got the car back from a dealer, nice condition, solar red so it's a handsome car. 2003 MY with 38K. However, when looking through old receipts and guff which came with it I found a receipt for work to replace the engine with a 2nd hand unit as the original had overheated and seized. Now I'm pretty certain what is in the car is a VVC - cast plenum chamber and difficulty (I'm told) of changing to a mpi anyway. The question is how old is it? I could have a 2003 car with a pre-2003 engine with a lot more than 38K on it or a post 2003 engine as the work was done early in 2016. If it's the latter then I may have a good buy but if it's the former then I may need to take this up with the dealer........

So can I tell the rough age of the engine from the number (which I expect is not the one in the V5).?

Many thanks and look forward to enjoying this car.

Keith

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Engine age from number? 7 years 1 month ago #176936

What is the engine number?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Engine age from number? 7 years 1 month ago #176942

I don't know as yet. I understand you need the car up on a hoist to see. If the age is discernable I'll go to my local tyre dealer and beg the use of his hoist to get a quick look underneath. If it isn't then there's no rush other than to update the V5.

Engine age from number? 7 years 1 month ago #177010

Having trouble with this - went to local tyre place to look for engine number but couldn't find it, technician reckoned it was LCF000190 but I think that's a part number. It was being done as a quick freebie between jobs so I couldn't spend ages - any advice as to where to look, handbook just says front left hand side ... so near oil filter?

Engine age from number? 7 years 1 month ago #177031

David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Engine age from number? 7 years 1 month ago #177043

Many thanks, could it be in a more difficult place to see when in situ ??????

Engine age from number? 7 years 1 month ago #177048

technician reckoned it was LCF000190 but I think that's a part number.

That is the part number for the block.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Engine age from number? 7 years 4 weeks ago #177127

OK, I have managed to locate and read the engine number - removed rear shelf panel and went in from above rather than below.

According to the V5 the car should have 18K4KP25590284 fitted to this April 2003 car whereas what is fitted (and it's not easy to read is it?) is 18K4KN36423310. Now I think I have an MGF Trophy 160 engine rather than a MGTF engine, being 2nd hand it has "Trophy 2" hand written on the cam cover presumably for the dismantler to identify.

So, as far as I see I have an older engine in what I thought was a 39K car. Minded to see about handing it back. Shame really as it looks good in red and seems to go well.

Keith

Engine age from number? 7 years 4 weeks ago #177131

OK, I have managed to locate and read the engine number - removed rear shelf panel and went in from above rather than below.

According to the V5 the car should have 18K4KP25590284 fitted to this April 2003 car whereas what is fitted (and it's not easy to read is it?) is 18K4KN36423310. Now I think I have an MGF Trophy 160 engine rather than a MGTF engine, being 2nd hand it has "Trophy 2" hand written on the cam cover presumably for the dismantler to identify.

So, as far as I see I have an older engine in what I thought was a 39K car. Minded to see about handing it back. Shame really as it looks good in red and seems to go well.

Keith

The N36 in the middle of the code indicates that it is an MGF Trophy 160 engine, made sometime between 2001 and 2003 I think. TBH - if it's running well, I wouldn't worry about it. It could even be from a lower mileage car than the 39K you thought it was.
Robin ;)

Engine age from number? 7 years 4 weeks ago #177136

Matching numbers isn't that big a deal with our cars........it's not like they're Ferrari 250 GTOs or Bugatti 35 Bs
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Engine age from number? 7 years 4 weeks ago #177137

Hi Cobber I agree, a 14 year old car would have a number of things done to it over the years. And Robin that is a good point. However, I thought I was buying a body and engine with 37K on it. Everyone says buy the best car you can afford. However, that Trophy engine was fitted in early 2016 so the chances of it having done less than 37K in the possible 15 years it had been in another car(s) are probably slim. It's that unknown in what I thought was a good package for what I paid.

I appreciate everyone's views as I must admit I'm torn about what to do about it.

Engine age from number? 7 years 4 weeks ago #177140

I think there are a number of options, depending on where you bought the car.
If from a dealer and there was no mention of the engine change I think you have good reason for taking the car back for a refund. That will no doubt be tricky and you should get some proper advice from your nearest citizens advice bureau.
If it was a private sale and there was no mention of an engine change again, I think you have good grounds for asking for a refund or at least some cash back.
When/if you come to sell then you will need to advise your buyer of the engine change.
The best option may be to not worry about it and enjoy the car, particularly if it's running well and you are happy with it.
Hope that helps.
Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: kandg

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT