Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176462

• SeanJ's Avatar Topic Author
  • SeanJ
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
'evening all, I wonder if anyone can answer my question.

Tomorrow, I'm collecting another car. It's currently got a private plate on and the owner - a personal friend,has today decided he wants to keep the plates to sell on. Now to avoid any delays, we've agreed that I will take ownership with the plates on, and then when I get the V5 back in my name I will de- register the plates and give them back to him so he can sell them. Otherwise we'd need him to de-register, get a new V5 then send it off again to change the keeper.

All the info on DVLA talks about transferring to another car or putting them on retention, but I can't seem to find anything about transferring ownership to a person. Has anyone done this? I know it costs a bout £125 to de register and keep on file, but that's ok as he's MOT'd the car today and had all the brake pads sorted etc so I'm quite happy with that.

Cheers all.

S

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176464

I think the easiest approach is for him to get a retention certificate for the vehicle. I think that costs £80. That will also issue a new number for the car which you then get plates made up for.

He can then sell on the retention certificate or put it on another car.

All this can be done via the DVLA web site.
Robin ;)

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176465

• SeanJ
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

I think the easiest approach is for him to get a retention certificate for the vehicle. I think that costs £80. That will also issue a new number for the car which you then get plates made up for.

He can then sell on the retention certificate or put it on another car.

All this can be done via the DVLA web site.

Thanks for that Robin, the issue we have is if he does that we have to wait for the new V5 with the new reg so he can sell it to me, then send it off again to change the keeper to me. That takes weeks. If I put it on retention myself once O own it, I assume I can then transfer the retention certificate to him for no charge.... as a gift as it were. Ideally he would have re registered the car weeks ago. :bang:

Last edit: Post by SeanJ.

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176467

I've recently swapped my personal plate from one car to another and it all happened electronically as I remember. You get the retention certificate and the new number instantly and then the v5 follows in a few days. You will be able to get the plates made up from the electronic document.
Robin ;)

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176468

Bloody hell you guys are on the ball, sat at home doing all this lot electronically. The first time I did the cherished number stunt I had to take the car to the nearest motor taxation office, stand in the rain whilst some minion decided that the thing in front of him was indeed a car; that it was blue & the long number on the damp paperwork was the same as the rusting runes on the bulkhead. 45 minutes & a drenching later he was happy & went back to his Lemsip, whilst a colleague relieved me of a not inconsiderable amount of cash for the day, £25 as I recall, however it was a long time ago. I’ve still got the number & it’s graced a number of cars.

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176471

• SeanJ
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Bloody hell you guys are on the ball, sat at home doing all this lot electronically. The first time I did the cherished number stunt I had to take the car to the nearest motor taxation office, stand in the rain whilst some minion decided that the thing in front of him was indeed a car; that it was blue & the long number on the damp paperwork was the same as the rusting runes on the bulkhead. 45 minutes & a drenching later he was happy & went back to his Lemsip, whilst a colleague relieved me of a not inconsiderable amount of cash for the day, £25 as I recall, however it was a long time ago. I’ve still got the number & it’s graced a number of cars.

Sadly all the local offices have closed now... we had one in Lincoln which was handy too. :(

I'm ok with online, my question was really about whether I could then transfer ownership of the retained plates to another person. I assume so or people couldn't sel l them without cars :P :

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176472

I'm ok with online, my question was really about whether I could then transfer ownership of the retained plates to another person. I assume so or people couldn't sel l them without cars :P :

Sorry, don't know how that's done. It was easy for me because I was transferring from one of my cars to another, so the name and address of the owner on the retention certificate were the same. It could be that a telephone call to DVLA, Swansea may be needed - good luck with that :dry:
Robin ;)

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176474

The person who's name is on the plate certificate owns the plate.

You can register the car in your name with the plate still on it but unless you've agreed with the owner to keep it and they have given you the certificate you don't need to do anything.

Once you receive confirmation that you are the registered keeper then the plate owner can remove the plate to retention and you'll receive the new logbook with the original reg number on it.

We sold a saxo many years ago with a private plate on it on the understanding that it was to be removed and we met up with the new owner a few weeks later to swap the plates over.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176479

• SeanJ
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Once you receive confirmation that you are the registered keeper then the plate owner can remove the plate to retention

Great, thank you. - just one thing, if he removes the retention, won't he loose the reg?

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176480

the only way to lose a reg is if you get caught misrepresenting it and it's revoked.

All he has to do is either put it on retention or put it on his new car.

Either way it costs £80.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176481

• SeanJ
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

the only way to lose a reg is if you get caught misrepresenting it and it's revoked.

All he has to do is either put it on retention or put it on his new car.

Either way it costs £80.

Apologies, I misread the earlier reply - I read it as remove from retention not to retention..... bloody eyes. He's giving me the original plates so assuming it comes back with the same index I'll be sorted.

Thanks for the info :)

S

Last edit: Post by SeanJ.

Personal registration transfer 7 years 2 months ago #176482

SeanJ all you have to do is get the owner to put the number on retention, it will get the original number back instantly, he puts that on the car and within a few days he will get a new V5c which you both fill in and you send off. Everything is done electronically online now so the longest bit is getting the V5c which normally appears in the post in less than 5 days. You then have to tax it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT