Personal registration transfer

• SeanJ
  • SeanJ's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Replied by SeanJ on topic Personal registration transfer

Posted 7 years 2 months ago #176728
Ok, a little more help on this please.

By way of trying to do the owner a favour, and to offset some costs he incurred just before handing me the car, I paid to have the plates changed, and I now have the reg on retention - and have the V778 document.

Now, I'm happy for him to sell the plates and make any money he can but that's not easy now. He would I assume need to sell them in my name as I'm the grantee?

I'm guessing I could sign the certificate and leave the nominee & date blank? So then he can sell the plates and fill it in. Failing that I could sell it for him but I don't want to be involved really.

S
by SeanJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Andy Lawrence on topic Personal registration transfer

Posted 7 years 2 months ago #176729
In my opinion you've gone about it all wrong.

If the cars seller is a mate then he should've kept the plate paperwork and paid for the transfer himself and informed you when it was taken off so you can put the original number on.

Like I said, I sold a car with private plate on but informed the new owner I was taking it off and then met up with him to swap plates.

Have a look on here for any info.
https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/overview

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

• SeanJ
  • SeanJ's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Replied by SeanJ on topic Personal registration transfer

Posted 7 years 2 months ago #176730
Thanks Andy,

Yes, you're right I have - but he's an 80 year old man with serious health issues, and trying to explain that wasn't easy. I was trying to keep his stress levels down and make it all as smooth as I could.

In the ideal world he would have dealt with it, but up until I collected it he had been in hospital for weeks and hadn't. I think I may offer to sell the plate for him and just give him the cash - I'll get an idea of what we wants. I'm getting the plate value estimated and if it's not too much I may even just offer him that.
Last Edit:7 years 2 months ago by SeanJ
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by SeanJ.

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds