Sign In   Register

Topic

Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 7 years 2 months ago #175453

Started yet another project .but i think this one may actually work!
Parts needed
1- Contactless Liquid Level Sensor (
Switch Water Contactless Liquid Level Sensor Interface Type Sensors Detectors
Buy It Now
) pt no XKC-Y25-PNP
2- 12 volt piezo sounder e.g. (
Panel Mounting Piezo Sounders Medium/High Output Single or Pulse Tone Versions
Completed
) not the one I used as I already had one.
3. inline fuse

I will try and make a clearer wiring diagram if any one is interested
I have not tested this on the car yet but it seems to work very well on any liquid filled container I have tried .
The plan is to stick the sensor to the side of the expansion tank and the buzzer on the rear shelf and pick up a switched 12v supply from one of the wires in the engine bay via a n inline fuse.as I say I have not tested on the car yet but it should all work I noticed that when the supply is turned on you get a little chirp from the sounder so acts as a nice tell tale that the circuit is working.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by jaypay. Reason: image host

Contactless low water level alarm project. 7 years 2 months ago #175456

Sounds interesting - keep us posted.

P.S. your photo links need checking.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Contactless low water level alarm project. 7 years 2 months ago #175468

Oh I see not much good without pictures .I used google pictures so works on my home computer.Will try and edit later.

Contactless low water level alarm project. 7 years 2 months ago #175469

Shared photo link (I think)
https://goo.gl/photos/h9MjoPeac8J1ZWMN6

Contactless low water level alarm project. 7 years 2 months ago #175472

Interesting. :yesnod:
Depending on where you position the sensor, you may experience a lot of false alarms as the cars bounces and rattles down the average road.
You will probably need a timer delay unit in the circuit.
David
:shrug:

Re:Contactless low water level alarm project. 7 years 2 months ago #175473

Also what effect will heat have, it gets prety warm, that will affect resistance etc.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Contactless low water level alarm project. 7 years 2 months ago #175476

I think the positioning of the sensor would be critical to stop false alarms . The sensor seems to have some built in delay on testing quick loss and recovery of water in the sensing area does not set it off but obviously something like driving down a hill may cause problems if mounted too high
I had a quick test at lunch on the connect

Last edit: Post by jaypay. Reason: link to video

Re:Contactless low water level alarm project. 7 years 2 months ago #175481

can you please keep your drawing plan clear as can't understand this thanks :-? :-? :broon:

Re:Contactless low water level alarm project. 7 years 2 months ago #175483

Best I can do at the moment.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SundanceUK, BruceTF135, graham1

Re:Contactless low water level alarm project. 7 years 2 months ago #175486

This looks like my kind of project! Simple, cheap and, if it works, very useful. I'm gonna give it a go. Except that the person selling the sensor is away until 1st February. :doh:

Contactless low water level alarm project. 6 years 11 months ago #176877

Well I have been using this for about a month and all seems to work well no false alarms and does not seem to be affected by the heat of the engine bay, I have spliced into the white wire that goes into the ecu and gives a 12v supply when the ignition is on and wedged the sensor between the expansion tank and the bulk head. will update with a video when I get more time. but if you want to build your own I can recommend it it may not be the most complicated system out there but seems reliable and works and is better then nothing.

The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, cairnsys, SundanceUK, BruceTF135

Contactless low water level alarm project. 6 years 11 months ago #176896

I've been following this little project with interest. It appeals to me as I know more about electronics than I do about cars! I have all of the parts and just need some time to put it all together. Did you manage to get a connector that fits the connector on the sensor or did you cut that off and hard wire it? Interesting that you managed to wedge the sensor in place. I was planning to use a dob of silicone but I'm not sure it would take the heat. Where did you put the buzzer?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brandrick 1960

Time to create page: 2.062 seconds