Sign In   Register

Topic

Contactless low water level alarm project. 7 years 1 week ago #176933

Sorry for the late reply I am on Holiday ,I used header pins that came with an arduino and will probably epoxy the sensor eventually.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 7 years 13 hours ago #177133

Might have to give this a try!

Also there's an arduino compatible sensor for CO2 that could be handy to show signs of head gasket failure, although sensor probably isn't waterproof, or is too sensitive, so wouldn't work so neatly as the set up you've got for the water level.

Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 3 years 5 months ago #194465

I'm using the LevelPro ProAlert 1000 Audible & Visual Alarm device for a long time without any trouble and also the support team is very helpful. So you can check this device from Icon Process Controls website: https://iconprocon.com/product/proalert-1000-audible-visual-alarm/
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 3 years 5 months ago #194466

This is the contactless unit I use. Its been on my car for 3 years now and has worked great. I clipped it on with two small brackets and a long zip tie. It signals to the unused gearbox fault lamp on my instrument cluster via a small relay that inverts the signal so it turns the lamp on when the sensor turns off (low level). Here it is shown on a mock up test rig.

Sundance

The following user(s) said Thank You: psymon, talkingcars, Bertl, richardgr88, sworkscooper, pdunkin

Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 3 years 5 months ago #194500

That looks amazing. I'd love to have exact details if the module you bought and how to set it up.

Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 3 years 5 months ago #194507

The unit was given to me from Balluff as a freebie although I believe that they are about 45 quid to buy. The part number can be seen on the sensor itself. I used this one because it works ok on 12 volts and has a good resistance to high temperature. I wired it to the unused automatic gearbox warning light on the dashboard instrument cluster so it lights up when the level sensor stops signalling (low level) to do this I wired the output through a relay to invert the signal. I think Balluff do now sell a unit with a normally open and normally closed contact configuration which is a bit smaller and should work just as well but without the need for a relay to switch the signal from high to low.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob, pdunkin

Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 3 years 5 months ago #194532

That looks awesome - although I like the idea of a low coolant alarm I never liked the idea of drilling or mucking around with the expansion tank too much to introduce another potential chance for cooling failure. Will have to check these out.

Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 3 years 5 months ago #194558

RS Components sell the one I used. Note it is a plug in unit, so will probably need a 5m cable also unless you cut the plug off and join the wires.

Sundance

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/proximity-sensors/9027470?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Automation_%26_Control_Gear_Whoop-_-Proximity+Sensors_Whoop-_-9027470&matchtype=&aud-821594433763:pla-342515848784&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0-aTku707AIVD9-yCh0GEAIdEAQYAiABEgKoCPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 2 years 11 months ago #195611

Hey guys, long time lurker (so long in fact that my account expired and was deleted!)... Great thread and I've used it as a guide to set up my a low level sensor on my F. Did anyone use an adhesive to stick the sensor to the coolant tank? Which one did you use? 

Re:Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 2 years 11 months ago #195614

Black polymer sealant.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 2 years 11 months ago #195645

Thanks, it's sorted now and the sensor has remained in situ for the last few joinery.

What a great mod for a piece of mind - I no longer need to obsessively open the boot before and after every joinery 👍👍😉

Last edit: Post by Thedigger.

Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank 2 years 11 months ago #195649

Hey guys, long time lurker (so long in fact that my account expired and was deleted!)...  

Hi and welcome back.

Don't leave it so long next time.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT