Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Oil smell in car 7 years 3 months ago #175040

Hoping for some help. I occasionally get a hot oil smell in the car and was told at MOT that I had an oil leak. I had someone look at it and was told there isn't a leak but is either a blocked split or missing breather but could get no more info from them. Where is the breather located and would this be the cause???.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Oil smell in car 7 years 3 months ago #175041

could not pin point the oil leak without seeing the car myself......but i would check you have a good seal on the engine cover....missing bolts or slack will allow fumes into the cabin....just a thought :broon:......when i had a landrover it ponged of ep90 gear oil.....if i bought one that didnt i would start to worry......if you are not losing noticeble amounts of oil and it passes a mot....then theres nothing to worry about apart from the smell

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Oil smell in car 7 years 3 months ago #175042

Thanks, no oil loss on stick. Now you mention it, it does smell like ep90 and do have occasional clutch judder

Oil smell in car 7 years 3 months ago #175043

in that case look underneath the car......check the bellhousing...this has a drain hole at the bottom...look for oil leakage around the hole or place your finger inside to check for oil leakage....oil found coming from this hole means seal failure and possibly contamination of clutch
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mac526

Oil smell in car 7 years 3 months ago #175044

Thanks will do

Oil smell in car 7 years 3 months ago #175045

sometimes oil seals can be fine but a blocked breather will cause them to leak....or even overfilling plays havoc with oil seals
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mac526

Oil smell in car 7 years 3 months ago #175053

If I can't smell EP90 when I get in my Land Rover I know it's time to top things up.

Oil smell in car 7 years 3 months ago #175056

When i see a pot of ep90 i sniff it like the bisto advert and say ah..,,land rover

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Oil smell in car 7 years 3 months ago #175074

There are two small rubber hoses from the rocker cover to the inlet manifold. On top of the engine. One is a simple breather pipe, the other is the IACvalve connection.
Both can come loose with age and time. A cable tie can tighten them up.
David
:shrug:

Oil smell in car 7 years 2 months ago #176112

Thanks for all the advice, finally found the problem. Have a small leak in the top gasket between the cam and cylinder head dripping oil onto the exhaust manifold......

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT