Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Decisions 7 years 5 months ago #173457

I have a 02 plate 160 with lots of history and 77k miles, Its my daily driver and has been reliable
I love the performance however it keeps trying to kill me.
I have a cracking drive up to work in Buxton but the thought of another winter travelling sideways was daunting so I have bought an Audi TT :coat: .
Yes it's fast, quiet, refined, heated leather seats, four wheel drive and a half decent boot however it's a bit bland compared to the bum clenching that goes on in the MG on a snowy descent.
So the decision
is sell it and say goodby to this excelent forum (and join then Audi one)
Keep it as a Sunday Driver and park it up over the winter.
Spend some time and cash on the little jobs and get it back to 100%, again as a sunny afternoon treat.
Or any alternative you can think of?
it's now on classic car limited miles insurance so that's only £120 a year and I can sorn it on and off online. MOT is until April.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Decisions 7 years 5 months ago #173458

Skid pan day? Maybe it would swap bum clenching for a broad smile?

Decisions 7 years 5 months ago #173461

When wide awake and ready sideways is fun but when half asleep on a cold dark wet morning it does wake you up but is never fun!

Last edit: Post by andy3681.

Decisions 7 years 5 months ago #173463

snow tyres, chains, 85th anniversary suspension (Bilsteins & Eibach ARBs), if all fails the front subframe is from the metro, so driveshafts easy to fit - diy fwd?

Decisions 7 years 5 months ago #173464

Two issues really:

1 - economics - how much could you sell if for (not a lot sadly), how much would it cost you to keep as a summer toy?

2 - emotions - how much fun would you get from the MG and MG ownership (ie the community) on a sunny summer day?

Only you can decide but if the fun factor makes the costs worthwhile, enjoy it while you can.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Decisions 7 years 5 months ago #173466

For what its worth I had a 96F nice condition etc but found myself nervous long drives thinking of the reliability angle of things, I should say I'm not mechanically minded really. So off I went, this was in 08, by the way and spent £20k there abouts on a new mx5 tin top convertible, lovely car it was a special edition Niseko all bells and whistles and downed my 96F do you know what the MX5 never filled the gap that the £1.5k MGF left. I downed the MX5 about 4 years later and tried to act my age and bought a Honda CRV......about a year later found a beautiful 98 MGF which sits in my garage today told my wife when I go put me in the F and drop us both in the hole. I do about 4k a year in it love every minute in it and will never not own one again.......it makes no economical or any other sense whatsoever, the neighbours always say what are doing polishing that what about the 20k's worth of other car on the drive, I say I take them to the £5 car wash......but the MG is more than a car its a hobby I just love.

If you can manage to keep it and bring it out sunny days that would definitely be my recommendation anyway.

Rob ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys, sworkscooper, SundanceUK

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT