• Page:

Topic

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172826

• Bill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bill
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Hi All
It seems the head gasket on m y F has failed ( February 2001 car, 49000 miles and no record of a gasket replacement, so I guess it wasn't unlikely).

I noticed the engine bay fan was on after a 40 min trip which is unusual, and on checking, found the expansion bottle was empty. The engine didn't run dry, the heater was working during the journey, putting a litre or so of water in the expansion bottle has brought the level back up, and a few seconds running of the engine showed pink coolant being returned to the bottle through the small hose at the side, but there is a small amount of white waxy substance floating in the expansion bottle, and the oil on the dipstick looks the colour of white coffee only thicker, and is about 15-20mm above the upper mark.
I sent a contact message to Russell via his website last night, but while I wait for him to get back to me I'm wondering if it would be better to drain the engine oil out...could having oil contaminated with coolant sitting in there start the crankshaft bearings corroding or anything like that ? When I phoned Russell's number just now it sounded like an overseas ringtone, so I guess it may be a while before I hear from him.

Any advice gratefully received

Bill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172829

Hi Bill sorry to hear about the dreaded HGF. Mine blew a few months back which had to be left garaged for three weeks until Jon Norris of rough luck racing came out. All fluids were left in during this time with no apparent problems. After Jon worked his magic on my TF it has drove better than ever.

:beer: :beer: Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172830

Bad luck Bill. Having been there myself recently, I know how you're feeling.
If Russell's out of town, I can't recommend Jon Norris (Rough Luck Racing) highly enough. He'll come to you and is absolutely ace. He can be contacted on 077 66 99 37 17.
I wouldn't drain the oil etc. It'll be changed when the new head gasket is done and there won't be any side effects with leaving it until then.
Finally, Jon fitted a coolant alarm for me at the same time as the HG. Worth every penny for the peace of mind.
Cheers,
Winko

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172832

• Bill
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Thanks Both
It looks like Jon is a bit further from me (I'm in Essex) than Russell, but after two strong recommendations in quick succession I'll definitely give him a call.

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172834

If you are in Essex, it might be worth contacting Kevin at MG & Rover Repair Centre in Wickford
http://www.mgroverrepaircentre.co.uk/contacts.html
He did my head gasket a couple of years ago. (For the previous owner)

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172866

• Bill
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Thanks Bruce. I've got an appointment for Jon Norris to visit me next Friday now, but I'll keep a note of the MG and Rover Repair Centre for possible future use, particularly for jobs where the car is still mobile under its own steam (oops, maybe shouldn't mention steam in connection with head gaskets)
Bill

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172867

Kevin is well worth keeping in mind. He's done a couple of jobs for me - new discs & pads all round and replacement rear suspension units. Very reasonable prices too.

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172882

Your in safe hands with Jon just keep him supplied with coffee.

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172884

• Bill
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer

Your in safe hands with Jon just keep him supplied with coffee.

Will do Steve !

(I'm just poking about on ebay at the moment, looking for the bits to make a low coolant alarm !)

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172887

There are some great design ideas on here if you have a root. I used one idea to build mine, which uses a float sensor linked to an op amp (LM741) configured as a comparator, the output then links to a dash light; you can also wire in a buzzer. I’m away at the moment & don’t have my note, if you wish I’ll have a look on my return. The diagram you are looking for has an animation to illustrate its function & by changing values you can make it as sensitive as you wish. The critical aspect to using float switches is getting the switch point high enough up the header tank to warn you in good time. If it is too low you might not have sufficient warning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill, Winko

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172890

After I did my head, I replaced the early header tank with the later model with built in float.

You will also need the sensor plug and wiring harness , and a buzzer, it works fine, and i am safe in the knowlege thatr i have a sound new header tank, I suspect that a leaking header was part of the reason for the head failure in the first place
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill, Winko

Last edit: Post by mgbv8mike.

Head Gasket Failed 7 years 6 months ago #172892

I got Jon to fit a B&G kit for me at the same time he did the HG. The kit includes a new tank and cap, plus all the wiring etc, and Jon got me trade discount, so total cost wasn't horrendous...and the peace of mind since, priceless.
(I did look at doing it myself, but by the time I'd added a new header tank, cap, float, wiring, alarm, light, etc, it just wasn't worth the candle. Having Jon fit it for me as I drank wine was an additional bonus.)
Whether you go ready made or self fabricated, having a low coolant alarm is a top idea.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT