Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Realistically, what should I be looking at? 7 years 8 months ago #171544

So, as I start my search there seems to be a vast array of cars about with a huge range of prices, even for similar age/spec/mileages.

What advice can you give as to what I should realistically be looking at for my budget of £5-6k?

Ideally, I'd like an LE500 or similar (but I'm open to suggestions!). Is that reasonable?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Realistically, what should I be looking at? 7 years 8 months ago #171551

It all depends upon what you want and what you plan to use the car for. If you want a 'recent', fairly high spec car then there is a lot to be said for a LE500 and they are within your budget provided there are no major issues to be fixed. The 85th anniversary model would be a great buy in good condition.You would be limited to a 135 - but then I drive a 1.8i F and am quite happy with the way it goes now.

Personally though, I'd go for a late TF - 2004/5, for well less than half your budget, then spend the rest on doing modifications. For me, working on the car is part of the pleasure (although you might wonder some times given the language coming from the garage).

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevew

Realistically, what should I be looking at? 7 years 8 months ago #171558

Hey up Timbo, regarding my last post, have a look at this one on the bay, if I was buying, I would be sure be going to have a proper look at this one!
MG TF 160 SUNSTORM A/C ONLY 53,000 M ! 04 FASTIDIOUSLY MAINTAINED , IMMACULATE !
Completed

MG TF 160 SUNSTORM A/C ONLY 53,000 M ! 04 FASTIDIOUSLY MAINTAINED , IMMACULATE !
Completed

Sundance

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: added widget

Realistically, what should I be looking at? 7 years 8 months ago #171562

Hi Timbo, with 5-6k to spend on an f/tf you are going to have plenty to choose from. So take a few cars for test drives and get the feel of them. You will soon be able to tell the good from the bad and then just go for the one that feels right to you.

My TF is a Sunstorm and had all the extras so a special edition is worth seeking out.

Happy shopping and let us know how you get on.

:beer: :beer: Steve

Realistically, what should I be looking at? 7 years 8 months ago #171570

Personally I'd decide on the spec I want and then find the best car with that spec that I can afford with my budget.

I would hold a decent lump back for things that crop up.

For me it'd have to be a 160, I currently have a lightly tuned mk1 VVC (143 bhp), a sick 135 TF and a mk1 MPi (120bhp), the VVC is defiantly more up to the job but my wifes ZR160 has more power, even though it is slower due to the extra weight it has more power.

I would look for alcantara seats, I prefer them to leather.

I wouldn't get too concerned about looking for cars that have had the head gasket done, just make sure you have that held back emergency fund.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Realistically, what should I be looking at? 7 years 8 months ago #171578

Be interesting to see what this one goes for...

2011 MG MOTOR TF 135 GREY, NOT LE500, NO RESERVE!
Completed
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Realistically, what should I be looking at? 7 years 8 months ago #171603

Thanks for all the advice Folks, really appreciate it. I must admit that I'm not brilliant with spanners, so I'm drawn to something that may be slightly more reliable (reliable, what, a TF!!). I saw the grey 2011 TF on eBay and watched it, being pretty gobsmacked it went for just over £4K (it was only just down the road really), but couldn't get time to see it. I'm starting to think something like that might be ideal, I'm just hoping something similar comes up, but not at the other end of the country!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Realistically, what should I be looking at? 7 years 8 months ago #171604

plenty of reasonably priced good quality F`s &TF`s,out there,shouldnt take too long to find one you like...and should still have quite a bit of change left over :drive: !

Last edit: Post by bluesparkuk. Reason: added to

Realistically, what should I be looking at? 7 years 8 months ago #171607

Trophy 160?
Regards

Chris
If your going to have one, Have a big one!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds