Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Catalyst 7 years 10 months ago #169725

Ok I have an Export Jap spec MGF It has on the Cat a Lamba sensor as well as the one on the exhaust manifold.

The Cat is now rattling like a good one.I have a replacement but it does NOT have the place for the Lambda sensor on it,So can I use it and if I do will it show up any Faults on the dash??

Also will the rattling cat affect the emissions readings.?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Catalyst 7 years 10 months ago #169728

Hi . With regards the rattling cat . I used to own an MGZR from new , I had it for 12 years , great car but , as the MG/Rover group went into administration , any warranty went with it . Shortly afterwards the cat started rattling so , me trying to be clever and as the car was due its first test I thought I would cut a hole in the cat and remove the broken bit . Welded up the casing and started the engine and perfect no rattle . Err well not so perfect , as a couple of weeks later the car flagged up a fault on the dash . Catylist overheat was the fault which would clear but 2 weeks later would return. It passed the test but the engine management on the car knew that things weren't as they should be so I had to buy a new cat . Bugger ! :bang:
The following user(s) said Thank You: quasimodo

Catalyst 7 years 10 months ago #169760

If the rattling is the external heat shield it won't affect the cat. If, however, it is the internal reactive metal matrix it probably will reduce its efficiency.:shrug:

You can buy a MIL eliminator to use instead of the second O2 sensor. It's just a little box of tricks that mimics the reading from a working sensor so that the engine management light doesn't come on. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Catalyst 7 years 10 months ago #169762

Thank you for the reply,I have had a look and it is definetly the inside of the Cat,

Is the sensor on the Cat an 02 sensor or a temp sensor for the Cat as this is /was a Jap export model..

Q

Catalyst 7 years 10 months ago #169763

Ok I have an Export Jap spec MGF It has on the Cat a Lamba sensor as well as the one on the exhaust manifold.

The Cat is now rattling like a good one.I have a replacement but it does NOT have the place for the Lambda sensor on it,So can I use it and if I do will it show up any Faults on the dash??

Also will the rattling cat affect the emissions readings.?

Is your car a mk1 or a mk2?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Catalyst 7 years 10 months ago #169766

Hell o It is a MK1 1996 NON VVC

Catalyst 7 years 10 months ago #169767

In that case the post cat sensor is purely for cat over heat warning so doesn't need refitting and won't effect running. If you really really want it go for a complete mk2 exhaust system.

Catalyst 7 years 10 months ago #169777

well I would but I have just fitted a very nice S/S silencer and Oval pipes.

So will now look to see if the spare Cat I have will be OK and as suggested remove the sensor from the old cat and tie it up somewhere out of the way

Catalyst 7 years 10 months ago #169778

I'd unplug the sensor so it gives the ECU no reading, not a false reading.

Catalyst 7 years 10 months ago #169784

OK thanks I will give it a go..

Q

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT