Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Its so quiet shhh shhh 7 years 11 months ago #168504

I'm not a hooligan anymore (apparently my wife says granddads have to sent a good example) my F has been civilized with standard exhaust and air intake (well apart from converting the standard airfilter box to cold air intake that is Shhh)
I debated before I started the removal of the sports exhaust if I should also remove the sports cat as well but this decision was sort of made for me because the stainless steel bolts I used when I fitted it where clearly were not stainless steel. The cat to downpipe come undone without to much of a problem but the cat to exhaust are just a blob of rust so to save time I just put the standard cat back on and besides I doubt the sports cat would make much difference with the standard exhaust anyway.

Its surprising how quiet it is I can even hear my 400w stereo now lol

I have cut the cat to exhaust bolts off now so sport cat and box are now separated and once I find some energy I will clean the up and put them up for sale

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Its so quiet shhh shhh 7 years 11 months ago #168505

Hi what have you took off ? Is there a how to to convert air filter to a cold air intake think it has got to be worth doing and it is going into be waxoyled any time now so would be a good time to get it done?

Its so quiet shhh shhh 7 years 11 months ago #168523

Hi what have you took off ? Is there a how to to convert air filter to a cold air intake think it has got to be worth doing and it is going into be waxoyled any time now so would be a good time to get it done?

I took off my super sport s exhaust and sports cat and also K&N 57i Performance Induction Kit main reason really was to cut the cost of insurance by £150

The cold air conversion I have done was my own I don't know if anyone else has done anything like it before .... Basically I took the standard air filter box then removed the air intake pipe (held by 1 screw) then blanked the hole off. Then cut a new hole in the front of the box (side that faces towards front of car) at about the same level to refit the air intake pipe into (make sure its a tight fit or you will have to bond it in) .. fit the pipe so its pointing down. Then get some 60mm ducting (I use heart resistant aluminium off ebay) feed this from the intake pipe down to the nearside/leftside side body air vent .. you will need to fit this vent with a scoop as this will greatly improve air flow in ...thats it ....and unless you know MGF's it looks standard .... does it work? well I don't see why it shouldn't ... does it produce more power again I don't know but cold air is better than hot

I will try and post some pics later maybe do a how to post

Its so quiet shhh shhh 7 years 11 months ago #168525

Just looking at some MGF Airbox pic's it seems the early smaller airbox fitted to mk1 has the intake pipe at the front as opposed to the rear like my mk2 ... I don't know if the mk1 has a tube to the vent or not but would be easy-ish to add if not and why MG/Rover changed it i don't know

Its so quiet shhh shhh 7 years 11 months ago #168953

Took F for its first proper run after civilising it and apart from being obviously quieter it didn't seem to perform any different .. maybe because its been I while since I last drove it... but I def think converting the standard air box to cold air is worth doing as I felt the car responded better to the throttle especially when overtaking ... would be interesting to know if it does really make a difference or not but don't have the tech stuff to test it.

As for the other purpose of this excises to make me into a civilised granddad drive and cure me of being a hooligan ...did that work .................... Ummmm NO ... I'm just a quieter hooligan now :bat:

Its so quiet shhh shhh 7 years 11 months ago #168960

As for the other purpose of this excises to make me into a civilised granddad drive and cure me of being a hooligan ...did that work .................... Ummmm NO ... I'm just a quieter hooligan now Glad to hear it :clap:

Its so quiet shhh shhh 7 years 11 months ago #168990

Glad to hear it :clap:

Or not hear it, as the case may be! :lol:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT