Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF Play in new rear bottom shock absorber bush 8 years 3 days ago #167625

I'm fairly new to the TF and am puzzled. This must be a common problem but I cannot find anything to help my concern.

I have an advisory for play in the lower bush on the right-hand rear shock absorber. I've bought new shocks and bolts but the fit is terrible. The bush is about 13mm in diameter but the bolt is less than 12mm in diameter. That is 1mm or more of free play.

I know that this will all be done up tight but won't it tend to work loose and move about once the car starts going over bumps? I would have expected the bolt to be a snug fit in the bush. My local mechanic agrees with me.

I spoke to the supplier of the bolt and shock absorber and they say that this play is normal.

Is it? Am I worrying unnecessarily? Or does it need packing out in some way?

Please can anyone help or advise?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF Play in new rear bottom shock absorber bush 8 years 2 days ago #167664

I have no experience of the TF setup, and I've not heard this mentioned before, but it would be logical for the inner sleeve of the bush to be a snug fit on the bolt. And as the bottom bushes on the TF setup don't seem to be replaceable(nb) unlike the F, it would be sensible to source an inner sleeve with less play..

Having said that, I would not be surprised by a mismatch on the TF as the F suffers from an inner sleeve several mm too long allowing the bottom of the damper to move around! :bang:

(nb) I've just checked and you can now get replacement poly bushes for the TF damper bottom bush Part No.: RNF100090LPB Then it would be a case of obtaining a properly sized steel sleeve.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

TF Play in new rear bottom shock absorber bush 8 years 2 days ago #167672

Thanks for the help. I'm happy to be your 18000th post!

I looked at the polybushes you mention and the item description is ambiguous. At the top of the description, it says Kit 13 is for the top. Further down, it says "Set of 8 bushes (upper & lower for the front shock absorbers)". Then "Air suspension vehicles". Then, at the bottom, there are diagrams showing the bushes fitted to top and bottom of both front and rear dampers.

I phoned Rimmer and they said that they are for the top and that the bottom bushes are not replaceable.

I just found this which sounds familiar if not exactly the same.

I'm confused!

TF Play in new rear bottom shock absorber bush 8 years 2 days ago #167676

Hi Bruce,

thought the same when I purchased the VHS suspension kit and new bolts, but the bottom collar of the shock fits into a recess in the bracket so the bolt has no load on it once tightened,

Gerry
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Last edit: Post by Gerry.laing.

TF Play in new rear bottom shock absorber bush 8 years 2 days ago #167677

This is what I saw.:shrug:

David
Attachments:

TF Play in new rear bottom shock absorber bush 8 years 2 days ago #167678

Very confusing... :-?
David

TF Play in new rear bottom shock absorber bush 8 years 1 day ago #167696

Hi David

Yes, I saw that too. It seems clear enough - shock absorber bush kit, lower. But if you drill down into the link, the description says it's something else.

Confusing, as you say. that's why I phoned them.

Thanks,

Bruce.

TF Play in new rear bottom shock absorber bush 8 years 1 day ago #167697

Hi Bruce,

thought the same when I purchased the VHS suspension kit and new bolts, but the bottom collar of the shock fits into a recess in the bracket so the bolt has no load on it once tightened,

Gerry

Ahh! That's very interesting. Thanks, Gerry, I'll report back when it's done.

Cheers,

Bruce.

TF Play in new rear bottom shock absorber bush 7 years 10 months ago #169152

By way of an update, The rear suspension units were finally fitted today. Gerry.laing was spot on. The bottom of the shock absorber fits into a recess in the bracket.

It's worth noting that the old bolt had exactly the same amount of play in the old suspension unit as in the new parts. It seems that this free movement is completely normal. Once fully assembled, nothing moves about!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT