Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166528

I have a plastic inlet manifold and a suspected leak after rebuild. I replaced the inlet manifold gasket. Just about to investigate. I can't see any alloy manifolds for sale at the moment. Are the uprated black inlet manifold gaskets any better. Is there anything I can do to improve the situation using the existing plastic manifold. Any comments or advice much appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166530

Invalid or non-existent item ID.There must be lots of alluminium manifolds for k series on the market.....if your not a ebay fan ....phone mg breakers direct......theres a few to choose from.....below is 2 alloy inlet manifolds for sale on ebay at this time of posting
MG TF ZR 1.8 COMPLETE INLET INTAKE MANIFOLD UPGRADE
Completed

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166535

First I would check the manifold isn't warped.

If not the uprated viton gasket is more durable,I had one on my ZT for ages and it didn't fail.http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LKJ101110

In the end I changed from plastic to the alloy,it's a better long term solution.

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166536

Is there any problem fitting the alloy one it it looks quite different to the plastic one. Does the standard throttle body fit. Its a 115. I presume its a flat composite gasket rather than the moulded rubber one.

Last edit: Post by campsie.

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166545

Apart from it being in two parts it is very similar. The throttle body fits fine, and so do the injectors etc if you need to swap them over. The gaskets are standard flat type, one between the inlet and head, one between the two halves of the inlet. If you get a newer one you'll need to leave the big black MAF sensor on the drivers side even if you don't have it connected or it will leak air in, and there's an extra vacuum joint that side also you may also need to plug...

Mine was plastic leaky crap, went to alloy and never looked back on both my old F (had a VVC alloy inlet) and my 115TF (has a 135 alloy inlet).

Lower half:

Fitted:

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166556

Thanks for the advice. I ordered one today. Just hoping I did not throw out those two funny looking gaskets that came with my head gasket kit. How did you clean yours it looks good.

Last edit: Post by campsie.

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166559

I put it in the dishwasher! All my car parts go through a good hot wash usually before fitting LOL.

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166570

I put it in the dishwasher! All my car parts go through a good hot wash usually before fitting LOL.

Mrs Bob would have my guts for garters :woowoo:

I rubbed mine down with a bit of wire wool.

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166572

Bob, that's not a F!

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166585

Is there a How To anywhere for doing the plastic to alloy swap? I can't find anything.

If not - how about it when you do yours Campsie? Don't forget the photos and details of spanner sizes and types etc would be very useful, as well as how you accessed the various nuts and bolts.
Robin ;)

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166588

Is there a How To anywhere for doing the plastic to alloy swap? I can't find anything.

If not - how about it when you do yours Campsie? Don't forget the photos and details of spanner sizes and types etc would be very useful, as well as how you accessed the various nuts and bolts.

The blind leading the blind eh. It looks pretty straightforward. I'll take notes and pictures and see how it goes. I can hardly say no having relied heavily on all the excellent info on this forum for my rebuild.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, cairnsys

Inlet manifold leak 8 years 1 month ago #166592

Bob, that's not a F!

Aye very observant it's a ZT 1.8turbo.

It did have a plastic inlet manifold fitted, now it has an alloy one from a 135.It leaked just like the ones on the 115's do.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.800 seconds