Sign In   Register

Topic

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164732

• Haydn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Haydn
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Hi,

Doing a spot of Sunday jobs, including servicing my MGF. Everything was going well until it was time to remove the oil filter, it's stuck.

I bought the car requiring some TLC and it obviously hasn't been serviced for a while prior to purchase, I don't know if that is the cause of it?

All I've managed to achieve with the filter removal tool is bending the filter and damaging my hand after an hour of trying to remove it.

Any idea's anyone?.. :-?

Whoops
:coat:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Haydn.

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164733

Last resort.

It's messy.

Belt a a big screwdriver straight through the filter. Do it at an appropriate angle so you can apply a turning force in the correct direction.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Haydn

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164734

• Haydn
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer

Last resort.

It's messy.

Belt a a big screwdriver straight through the filter. Do it at an appropriate angle so you can apply a turning force in the correct direction.

Hmm I'll give it ago, I'm worried if that doesn't work I'm left with half a filter attached :lol:.
Whoops

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164735

An effective but messy solution is to hammer an old screw driver right through the filter then use it as a tommy bar. If you decide to do this, have something to catch the oil and make the holes well away from the screw on end of the filter. You may need to make the holes a few times after each turn if it is on really tight.

I now use a motorbike filter socket rather than a strap to remove the filter.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164736

It's quite common for an oil filter to be very tight, even if its only been on for a year, try to move your filter wrench as close to the housing end as possible as the metal of the filter is stronger close by the rolled edge and less chance of it bucking under the force.

The other methods are a tad brutal but hamming an old screwdriver through the filter and using it as a lever is one way, another method is with a blunt chisel and hammer on the rolled edge of the filter; just take care not to damage the aluminium housing; and make sure you are unscrewing in the correct direction.

You will get there in the end by one of the methods above and brute force; maybe a pair of gardening gloves to protect your hands.

When fitting your new filter; not too tight and lightly lube the rubber seal as it may well be yourself who is removing it next time.

Brian

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164740

Daft question but are you turning it the right way .You need to turn it anti clock wise but as you look at turn clock wise .I had problem with mine you best buy really good oil filter tool than using screw drive.

Just same problem as you a few weeks ago and hit with screw drive it work a bit but ending buying a better oil filter remover the end oil every where

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164742

• Haydn
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Thanks for all the advice chaps.

Was about the hammer a screwdriver through it but I decided to try give it one more go.

I finally got it off with brute force, I've never strained so hard in my life!.. :lol:. It was nearly bent 90 degrees when it started to turn.
Whoops

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164743

Brute Force, nephew of Blunt Force-Trauma - never fails especially when angry.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164744

most people are guilty of over tightening filters......i to am guilty of that.......ive had to remove oil filters on engines built only a week before by myself and ruddy hell thats tight id say.....................even with a lubricated seal they can stick fast :dry:

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164745

Your only meant to do them up "hand" tight, that is no more force than you could apply with bare hands.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164752

• Haydn
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer

Your only meant to do them up "hand" tight, that is no more force than you could apply with bare hands.

The previous owner obviously didn't get the memo :lol:.
Whoops

Oil Filter Stuck 8 years 3 months ago #164753

Doesnt hand tight depend alot on the hands that tighten it?.............. :-? :-?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT