Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Central locking not making sense 8 years 9 months ago #160954

Hi all, just joined forum and am a new TF owner (2005 135mpi) . I have had the TF for a week or so and have only just started to play and noticed that using the keyfob does not lock the doors (either keyfob) but if you unlock using the fob it's ok . The alarm goes off if you lock the door with key after 10 seconds. When the lock is pressed on the fob nothing is heard from the doors but the alarm seems to set, but the unlock button unlocks both doors and cancels the alarm.
So I can't lock the door with the key because the alarm goes off and I can't lock it via the fob at all so anyone got any ideas what it might be ?
Another thing on my mind is the boot lock has a solenoid on it but my keyfob only has 2 buttons ? What's the story there ?
Any help appreciated on this as I do not want to buy loads of parts and still be at the same point , for now I leave it open in a locked and alarmed garage until it's sorted.

Dodgey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Central locking not making sense 8 years 9 months ago #160962

A 2005 TF you say, Hmmmmmmm! ..........I not really up with TFs but I thought they had roundish shaped 3 button fobs Whereas the earlier Fs like mine have a rectangularish 2 button fobs.
Sorry I can be of more help, though I'm sure someone who knows more about it will enlighten us all soon.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Central locking not making sense 8 years 9 months ago #160967

The lock problem is either a failed relay in the body control unit or failed switch in the drivers door lock or damaged wiring between.

If you look around the cabin you will proberbly find a hidden switch for the boot release, possibly around the drivers footwell or in the armrest cubby hole.

IIRC the TF didn't ever actually have the boot release fitted at the factory so was only shipped with fobs with 2 working buttons.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Central locking not making sense 8 years 9 months ago #161007

My TF has a Rectangular fob with two buttons. There is no factory installed boot release. The lock also engages the engine immobiliser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:Central locking not making sense 8 years 9 months ago #161009

Does it look like this:

if so it's the fob for the Lucas 5AS alarm fitted to the MGF.

I'm sure your car should have the Pektron alarm as fitted to TFs, if so it should use this fob:

Re:Central locking not making sense 8 years 9 months ago #161031

Does the MGf have remote locking as I have the lucas fob and I was under the impression that it was just an alarm fob and not remote locking.

Mines a 2001 1.6, F. Not TF.

If it is meant to have remote locking then its #OneMoreThing

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edit: Post by iKryten.

Re:Central locking not making sense 8 years 9 months ago #161032

Oh and whats all this talk of a secret lever for the boot release?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Re:Central locking not making sense 8 years 9 months ago #161033

Here in Oz all cars have central locking, but I believe that there were some lower spec cars for the home market.
Does you car have key lock barrels on both doors? Cars with central locking only have a key lock barrel fitted to the drivers door, the passenger door has a blank covering where the lock barrel would've gone.

Re:Central locking not making sense 8 years 9 months ago #161051

Some 1.6's didn't get remote locking but I'm not sure how you can tell.

Oh and whats all this talk of a secret lever for the boot release?

Not a lever but a button, some owners have retro fitted an electric boot release, I think Rover even offered a kit at some point, it was never fitted from the factory.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Central locking not making sense 8 years 9 months ago #161053

I'm sure your car should have the Pektron alarm as fitted to TFs, if so it should use this fob:

Agreed - 53 onwards were Pektron alarmed.

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Central locking not making sense 8 years 9 months ago #161080

HI

tried a secondhand lock/solenoid off Ebay but the solenoid did not operate at all ( while the suspect one at least unlocks) so back to Ebay with that , yes it is the oval keyfob (Petron I think) and that appears to work switching alarm on/off it definitely had central locking in the past as the passenger side has no lock. If I get a replacement from Ebay I'll try it on the loom before fitting it this time as it took me several hours to replace then another hour or so to swop back again , fiddly isnt the bl.....y word for it specially with arthritic fingers. Again any ideas appreciated

cheers

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT