Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Long Term Storage 8 years 10 months ago #160657

Hi all,

Moving to USA in late Sept for 3 years, still undecided about taking the F (cost is extortionate!) . However friend has offered to store in dry barn for free. Any top tips on long term storage. On axle stands - yes/no? Handbrake off -yes? Fluids- drain or not? Battery - options??

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Elona.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Long Term Storage 8 years 10 months ago #160658

A friend shipped his TF from Southampton to Baltimore, MD, for around £600. But I don't think you could keep the F in the USA for 3 years, I think the restriction is closer to 6 months. Where abouts in the USA will you be? Us in Canada have been enjoying the F for 5 years now, what a great little car.
Mark
95 MGF

Long Term Storage 8 years 10 months ago #160659

We will be in Virginia 600 is a good price but likely to be more expensive from Italy. No restriction on length of time provided do not try to sell it!
Elona

Long Term Storage 8 years 10 months ago #160660

Yes to axle stands and handbrake off. I wouldn't drain fluids as running the engine occasionally will keep things better. Be aware that if you don't use the clutch for an extended period the arm is likely to seize! Best to coat the arm with grease and work the clutch regularly to prevent this.
Keeping the battery in good condition with an optimiser if possible.

You need to guard against damage by the local mice/rat/squirrel etc. populations. They can do a lot of damage in a very short space of time. Chewing holes in upholstery, the roof, carpets etc. I speak from bitter experience. I have a lovely chewed hole in my tonneau cover., which I keep in the boot. I now use those 'Bounce' softener sheets in the car ( for the tumble dryer). Apparently they don't like the smell
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Long Term Storage 8 years 10 months ago #160671

My F had been ''off the road'' for a while, Squirrels had been in the Air Filter resonator box and filled it with pea nut shells.

A friend, who is a local Garden centre manager, stored his bird seed in the garage with his period classic Volvo (red with white leather interior) the mice had nested in the car and eaten holes in every seat!!!!!!!! Amazingly he was able to claim on his house insurance for a complete interior re-trim (cost £6000) seeds are stored elsewhere now.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT