Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160593

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and hope I'm in the right place, having had a search about so I'm not repeating an old thread I'm having no joy finding an answer.

I have recently inherited an mgf 1.6 2001 from a relative, its a runner and road worthy but needs a little tlc, everything on it needs a little tweaking as the previous owner didnt even know what the mastercylinder was and was surprised when she was told the engine wasnt at the front of the car. So you can imagine my task....

What I'm having an issue with is free play on the steering, I took her on the motorway for the first time after a check and top up of all the levels. Alarmingly I found a small amount of free play in the steering and I was constantly correcting a little drifting this wasnt an issue at lower speeds and on the lanes though. Having got home and had a check, the steering has a little more play than I'm comfortable with.

Now before I start buying new steering rods and ball joints etc, I was wondering if this is normal or an easy fix or am I going to have to take the front end apart to replace parts.

Guys any ideas or solutions?

Noel.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160597

Hi, Track rod ends are an easy fix, Cheap so if in doubt I would replace.
Four wheel alignment seems popular with these cars and there is the strange electric steering thingy.
I have a 1.6 and I still don't know if I have electric steering.

I find my steering a bit knotchy and I feel I have to correct it to keep straight.

Re:Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160598

I know its got power steering as before I turn the ignition on i put my foot hard on the brake and pull the steeri g wheel down with my left hand and when the engine starts up the servos kick in and the steering goes light and easier to turn.

If it doesnt do anything and you dont have feedback then youve either got a faulty servo or its not fitted. (Been a hgv driver in various guises for over 20 years so my power steering is all in the arm ;-))

Its a good habit to get into as it checks the controls every time to make sure they are working.

Sorry if you knew this already but forum humour is new to me.

Je suis un technomong. If its got a nut or bolt I'm all over it but put a computer on it and game over man.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Re:Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160599

I'll get her jacked up when its dry and have a look, probably best to replace as you said anyway for piece of mind.

Re:Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160600

Hi, I don't think any of the models have power steering as such, but an electric thingy??? attached to the column for slow speed maneuvering.

Re:Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160601

That makes sense. I'll let you know if I notice any obvious reason for the free play next week when I get the chance to have a nose.

Re:Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160602

:welcome: ikryten :welcome:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Re:Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160603

Thanks blue.

Re:Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160604

Hi, I don't think any of the models have power steering as such, but an electric thingy??? attached to the column for slow speed maneuvering.

It is true electric power steering.. at the time of the MGF launch only it and the super expensive Honda NSX were road cars that had the feature as far as I am aware. It is actually very clever. It takes a signal from the ECU telling how fast the car is going, and then varies the assistance based on that.

With regard to loose feeling steering - it shouldn't be. It could be steering track rod ends - an easy fix as previously said. You can feel this if you hold the track rod end and get someone to wiggle the steering wheel. Other possibilities are bushes and mountings. You could also fill both front and rear top arms with grease from a grease gun - it can work wonders. If it is 'wandering at speed' only, then that is a 'feature' in certain circumstances. Mismatched tyres, odd pressures, bad tracking can all cause this. The cars do also feel 'light' at speed for some people, and this can cause a bit of wandering. Lower front bumper splitters can solve this, as can having the spare wheel in the front wheel well rather than the 'emergency gunk' as supplied sometimes. Hope you sort it out.

Oh and :welcome: !

Re:Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160605

That is a very comprehensive reply, many thanks, I'm new to mg two seaters as I've always fixed hgvs and serviced my own cars.

They are a lot lighter and more fun. I can see why they are a labour of love and I'm looking forward to all the blood sweat and tears.

Thanks for the tips and knowledge base.

Re:Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160606

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

Re:Steering free play. 8 years 10 months ago #160607

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Hi Noel.

Welcome to the forum.

As said, the F/TF does have power steering and is known as EPAS and is electrically powered, involving NO fluids or pumps. It is a self contained system in the steering rack, with very little to check. A lot of the more modern cars are now moving over to this system.

As for the wandering, it isn't unknown for the F/TF to wander at speed, but it shouldn't be too obtrusive or feel dangerous.

Have a look here for some things to check http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/22-cjjs-guides/24897-why-does-my-car-wander-some-simple-checks

Also, don't forget that this and many other helpful how to's can be found by clicking on the tab to the left of the screen. Have a nosey around and you will probably find something for every problem you have. Most people have been there before. ;)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT