Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Soft brake pedal and brake warning light on. 9 years 1 month ago #158196

Hi
I went for a spin in my f the other day as the weather was really nice.
I had not been driving long when the brakes played up.
I pushed the pedal as normal the pedal went as normal then it went nearly to the floor.
The brakes felt rubbish. I then noticed that the brake warning light was on the dash.
There had been no problems with the brakes before this.
When I took the car out of the garage I did not see any wet patches on the floor and I did notice any leaks,
I presume it will be the master cylinder which is at fault.
If it is would it be worth fitting a new cylinder and doing discs and pads all round.
If it is the master cylinder are they very hard to change.
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Soft brake pedal and brake warning light on. 9 years 1 month ago #158200

Something has obviously failed but it is hard to tell at thiis stage what it is.

Have you checked for leaks since it failed?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Soft brake pedal and brake warning light on. 9 years 1 month ago #158202

Try topping up master cylinder and see how much fluid you are using , if you are Losing fluid you got a leak,

I take each wheel off and check for leaks and perhaps check each point with a spanner and see the union bolts are tight , If you are not mechanical mind and don`t have much experience it is best paying some one to check them over as the breaks are important Safety issue

Soft brake pedal and brake warning light on. 9 years 1 month ago #158204

The brake warning light means there is no fluid in the master cylinder.

When did you last check its level?

If the peddle has traveled to the floor, then you now probably have air in the system, so not only do you need to top up the brake fluid reservoir, you need to bleed them also.

Why has the reservoir emptied? Is it due to lack of maintenance over several years, or do you have a leak?

You need to check the brakes out thoroughly for leaks from the brake calipers, hoses, pipes or master cylinder.

Do not drive the car until you are certain there is no leak and the fluid is topped up and bled!!

peter

Soft brake pedal and brake warning light on. 9 years 1 month ago #158213

don't worry its not going any where apart a mile to my mates garage who has a ramp. I've not noticed a leak and the car has been regularly maintained

Soft brake pedal and brake warning light on. 9 years 1 month ago #158214

hi there-when this happened to me this year-it turned out to be on the rear calliper at the point where the handbrake mechanism attached to the rear calliper
As soon as the brake pedal was pushed fluid leaked out from the calliper/handbrake lever rotational joint -tightening things at this point did not cure the problem -only replacing affected calliper did the trick. As was mentioned before the brake warning light was telling you that fluid was being lost so it needed attending to

Mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT