Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Plastic part in coolant rail 9 years 1 month ago #157083

MGTF VVC (with PRT) 2004. I have just been cleaning the insides of the metal coolant rail pipes. A plastic component popped out of the narrower of the two pipes, the one that connects to the oil cooler. Has anybody any idea what it is? Should it be there?
Cheers, Tony.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Plastic part in coolant rail 9 years 1 month ago #157175

I have no idea, does it have a hole through the middle.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Plastic part in coolant rail 9 years 1 month ago #157177

Yes, about 10mm diameter. It is a slack fit in the pipe but gets stuck at the first bend (nearest the gearbox). I am assuming it is a deliberate flow restriction and putting it back.

Plastic part in coolant rail 9 years 1 month ago #157181

I'm not sure what it is but I doubt it's supposed to be there. If it was a flow restrictor it would fit the pipe properly. I've never heard of there being a flow restrictor in those pipes before.
I had a burst hose just before the metal pipes(where the multi-armed hose joins the metal pipes) and that was cause by a reinforcing piece from within the multi-armed hose detaching and becoming lodged in the opening of the metal pipe. I suspect this is the same piece that has detached. I will have a look back in my photo records to try and confirm.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Plastic part in coolant rail 9 years 1 month ago #157183

It looks similar to what I found. It could just be a later version of the same idea.
have a read of this .
David

Plastic part in coolant rail 9 years 1 month ago #157199

Point taken about it being a slack fit in the pipe - definitely Heath Robinson. My pipework is a bit different with no jiggle valve but the mystery part is an interference fit in the 4-way junction. Perhaps that is where it came from? If that is where it was supposed to be, surely it would be showing up on a parts list or other diagram/picture?

Attachments:

Plastic part in coolant rail 9 years 1 month ago #157200

Anybody fancy taking their 4 way junction apart? :dry:
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marshall

Plastic part in coolant rail 9 years 1 month ago #157201

You might be able to feel it.

Plastic part in coolant rail 9 years 1 month ago #157214

If you want to believe want you read on the internet, there is some talk of a flow restriction to the oil cooler to improve the operation of the heater. Since both the oil cooler and heater circuits are fed from the 4-way junction it seems plausible that the restrictor would be placed there. Anyway, that's where I'm putting it, cheers, Tony.

Plastic part in coolant rail 9 years 3 weeks ago #157420

Its a flow restrictor for PRT models.

Without it your heater doesn't blow warm air unless you are revving above 250rpm Approx

Something to do with moving the thermostat out of the head.

I retro fitted my F with a PRT and I should have fitted the restrictor as my heater doesn't get warm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marshall

Plastic part in coolant rail 9 years 3 weeks ago #157421

Many thanks for the reassurance although my TF does not run very well at 250rpm. Perhaps your computer is running out of '0's? :P
Much obliged, Tony.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT