Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Winter tyres 9 years 2 months ago #155678

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
When are they going to make it compulsory to change to Winter tyres?

David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Winter tyres 9 years 2 months ago #155679

How the hell did it get over the fence without breaking it and manage to squeeze down the gap!?

Winter tyres 9 years 2 months ago #155693

Nice parking ha ha

Winter tyres 9 years 2 months ago #155694

NO its Muti -story bargin basement parking :clap: :oops:

Winter tyres 9 years 2 months ago #155700

I don't run mine when ice or snow is about.The roads are covered with salt as well [or should be]
It's a big initial outlay for a set of Winter tyres & would only be worth it if the car is driven daily.

Winter tyres 9 years 2 months ago #155705

..............& would only be worth it if the car is driven daily.

and only in some areas, today is only the first time we have seen snow in Sussex this winter and only a couple of times have the roads been icy at 6 a.m. on the way to work, most days it has been over 5' even first thing in the morning.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Winter tyres 9 years 2 months ago #155708

I use mine every day and regularly in winter cum frost , ice , snow and never felt the need for winter tyres if the snow was really deep i just wouldnt use the car ... I rode my honda cbr 600 all year round before I had the tf in all conditions as mentioned above and that was fitted with summer road tyres (dunlop sports max) and never had any real issues .. I find the tf easy to control in bad conditions even with the wank federals on the rear wheels.
no abs just like the bike .. differance is if I locked up the biked front wheel id have tasted the asphelt in the tf I aint got to worry about that

Winter tyres 9 years 2 months ago #155709

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Seriously.

There are two miles of un-gritted road before I get to a gritted/ploughed road, and most of the minor roads in Cumbria never see salt. I would imagine that's the same for most rural counties. So unless you never leave an A road, I would imagine that most people drive on untreated roads, unless they live on a bus route.
You need to remember that winter tyres are better below 12 degrees than summer tyres.So that's probably the majority of the year, :P

Yes you have to buy the tyres( say £200-240), but on the other hand your summer tyres will need changing less often. If you do 6 months turn around they'll last twice as long) If you get a cheap set of wheels(mine were £50) you can swap wheels/tyres yourself.

If you compare these extra costs ,offset by the extended length of your summer tyres, then compare that to the cost of one accident caused by slippy roads, then the outlay doesn't seem much. :hgf:

I firmly believe that the government should make it law to change to Winter tyres, just like in many European countries. :pop:
David

Winter tyres 9 years 2 months ago #155731

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-31054085

David

Winter tyres 9 years 2 months ago #155735

Trouble is, David, you can get really bad weather conditions, snow ice, etc. where you live. I always think of Cumbria as being fairly high and hilly and not many miles off the Scottish boarders and all the snow and ice that they get in the winter months.

We down south, have not seen any snow yet, had about 4 days of frost on the windscreens and thats about it. February can be our worse month, but snow or ice never lays more than a couple of days at the most.

So a country wide law saying we must have snow tyres would be OK for you but would be very costly for us. Maybe a law that says you cant use a car in snowy conditions, unless its fitted with snow tyres?? Or make it a condition of your insurance. Might make people fit snow tyres, or not use their cars in snowy conditions.

I know people will come back with, "what if it snows when you are going from A to B", and I dont know the answer to that one!! :drive: :drive: :drive:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT