Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148431

First of all hello to everyone. I'm Bill and my first MG was a Green Midget way back in the eighties when I ran the Fife MG Owners Club

My wife has a TF115 which she loves but at the moment she's driving a Seat Ibiza while the boys learn to drive.

The TF has sat for about 10 months although I initially ran it regularly it's starter gave up. So I put a new one in yesterday and now it's having starting issues.

It started fine last night then this morning first thing. I reversed it out the garage then i stalled it and it wouldn't start. It was like the immobiliser just went no, fuel pump primes, lots of clicking but nothing when I try to turn it over.

Battery was around 11v which I thought should give me something but it wouldn't alarm either from the fob (no central locking to try)

Fob battery is 3v so that should be okay.

Any ideas anyone?

Sorry for long first post, Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Storm.

New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148432

Sorry but I should have added that when I bump started it she was fine and is running okay now

EDIT - battery over 12 volts now but nothing when I turn the key. When I short over the starter solenoid the starter spins but doesn't catch. Is it possible it's just another bad starter?

Last edit: Post by Storm.

New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148435

:welcome: Maybe the battery needs a good charge or replacing :-? :-?
[IMG]ht[/img]

New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148439

:welcome: :welcome:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148441

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Robin ;)

New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148444

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148445

:welcome2:

I would clean up the starter connections and the battery terminals too. Give the battery a good charge.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148454

As per David's last post plus some checks below:

Bridging the 2 big terminals on the starter motor only engages the starter to spin and may not engage the starter pinion gear into the flywheel ring gear. Pull the small spade terminal off the solenoid and bridge between the big outer terminal and the spade terminal on the solenoid to test the starter, battery and connections (with a health battery).

Check the inertia switch is not tripped (on the left hand side corner of the engine bay, press the rubber switch cover to reset)

Check fuse No. 1 in the under bonnet fuse box (this is the power feed to the starter relay + the engine ECU)

Check fuse No. 20 in the fuse box in the driver’s footwell (this is the cranking signal from the ignition switch to the starter relay)

I the fuses are OK pull out the starter relay (it’s behind the boot carpet on the left hand side)

With the starter relay removed and using a short piece of wire as a link, bridge the connections on the relay base between the white with a red tracer and the brown with a red tracer wires, then try to crank the engine on the key.

This bypasses the starter inhibit on the alarm BCU.

Let us know how you get on.

Brian.

And welcome to The-T-Bar
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Leigh Ping, 240karl

Re:New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148458

I didn't do anything and it's starting again and running fine. I suspect the battery as we've had it in the car for seven years and I don't know how long it had been in before that.

New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148471

Let us know how you get on and :welcome:

Re:New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148490

I checked the starter just like you said Badger before I fitted it so I know that's fine, even after my original swearing at it! Lol

I'll keep in mind the other checks but I'm thinking battery or, worse case scenario, immobiliser or alarm. It doesn't have central locking but arming the alarm from the key fob isn't always working either so I need to get that looked at before she takes it back on the road anyway.
And thank for the friendly welcome and helpful advice guys.

Bill

Re:New to here 9 years 9 months ago #148640

Battery fully charged now and the alarm is only arming or disarming intermittently. I'm going to try all your suggestions Badger so I'll feed back in a couple of days about how I get on.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT