New to here

Replied by Storm on topic Re:New to here

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #148679
Okay so I tried taking the relay out and putting a wire over the pins you said but nothing. However did you get the right colours? The two big wires coming in, which I thought would be the starter wires are brown/red and plain brown. Should I bridge over these instead?

by Storm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #148680
Nope, bridged the two large wires and nothing either. Bugger and bugger
by Storm

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #148684
Checked the relay and it works okay. Over the weekend I think I'll be going over the wiring diagram to see where it could be going wrong. Last time it almost started the solenoid got as far as going click then it went no further.

It's becoming a tad irksome.
by Storm

Replied by talkingcars on topic Re:New to here

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #148732
Brown is constaint live, brown/red is a switched live, in this case switched by the relay.

I would replace the battery in the fob, it is a service item at the annual service anyway, and then check all the associated wiring for continuity and voltage.

I would start with the low tension lead to the starter, and proberbly start by replacing the crimp terminal as these are a known weak point.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Replied by Badger on topic Re:New to here

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #148736

Storm wrote: Okay so I tried taking the relay out and putting a wire over the pins you said but nothing. However did you get the right colours? The two big wires coming in, which I thought would be the starter wires are brown/red and plain brown. Should I bridge over these instead?

You are on the correct relay and wires, bridging the two large wires (brown with brown with the red tracer) bypasses everything and gives a direct feed from F20 straight to the spade terminal on the starter motor solenoid; starter should engage and spin the second you make the contact (make sure it's not in gear).

If you think it's alarm related then replace the relay and connect a ground wire into the black with the white tracer wire (scotch lock in place for the test or push the bared end of the cable into the relay base)
This will bypass the ground signal from the BCU alarm system and allow the engine to crank when you turn the key.

Attached is the wiring diagram for the starting circuit.

Brian.

File Attachment:

File Name: MGTFStartCharge.pdf
File Size:221 KB
by Badger
Attachments:

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #148917
Thanks everyone. If the spade is a weak point then it will be worth having a look at it. I will be sending the alarm ECU away to get the central locking switched on anyway so I'll get it checked over at the same time. No huge rush as the cars still off the road until one of the boys pass their test and Margaret wants her MG back.
by Storm

Replied by CR41G on topic Re:New to here

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #148924
Mine had the same starting issue and was also intermittent , turning the ignition on everything lit up as it should but not a peep from the starter I tried unlocking and locking it hoping to god it wasn't alarm or immobiliser related but still nothing ,tried wiggling wiring in engine bay and it started up but next attempt was back to having nothing.

Turned out to be a dodgy crimp /spade connector on starter - replaced with a new one and cleaned up terminal everything has been fine since . . . Took 10 minutes and around 5p worth of spade connector.

Hope this helps
Last Edit:9 years 9 months ago by CR41G
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by CR41G.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Storm

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #149336
Bloody spade connector. All starting again now :)

Thanks everyone.
by Storm
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Replied by CR41G on topic Re:New to here

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #149368
Glad you got it sorted bud, bloody spade connector indeed!! But you always over look the simple things!!
by CR41G

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds