Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Water only in cooling system....how long for? 9 years 11 months ago #144881

This week I'm suffering from coolant system drain, refill and bleed fatigue, it's just water in there at the moment mixed with the remenants of the green, oily primordial gloop that was in there. I have 10L of pretty blue stuff waiting to go in but I'm also looking at ordering and fitting a B & G low coolant alarm so although I was going to put the pretty stuff in this weekend I'm thinking of waiting to do both together.
Will any damage occur if I leave just the grubby looking water in there until maybe the weekend after?
There is little danger of frost (please let it be so) and I'm thinking that in order for it to rust there has to be air in the system or should I be more worried about the O in H2O?
Will it do any damage if I leave it another week?
Would appreciate your thoughts people.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Water only in cooling system....how long for? 9 years 11 months ago #144890

Stick a crushed dishwasher tablet in for the week and then drain down to get rid of your gloop.

Brian.

Water only in cooling system....how long for? 9 years 11 months ago #144892

Never knew they did OAT in blue colour ??

Water only in cooling system....how long for? 9 years 11 months ago #144898

Interesting Badger! Really? Lol I might give it a go.

Yes Paul, mine is an older MGF and EG not OAT is recommended for it. I'm sticking with that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulsmgf

Re:Water only in cooling system....how long for? 9 years 11 months ago #144900

You can fit the B&G kit without losing much coolant, just secure the pipes as high as possible, and pour the content of the expansion bottle into a suitable container.
Though as you need to add antifreeze badgers suggestion is the way to go.
Be prepared to find extra jobs as you will need to route the wire for the led and siren thingy down to the counsel and you'll most likely have problems with carpet, and may find rust in the passenger foot well. So a 2 hour job will probably take all day. But we know you love it ;-)

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Water only in cooling system....how long for? 9 years 11 months ago #144904

I don't love it. I don't. At all. I want straightforward and simple and just as it says on the how to, no drama, no surprises, jeez! These car are as contrary as men!! Not funny.

Water only in cooling system....how long for? 9 years 11 months ago #144916

Hi Beth, You can use OAT in any K-Series engine. I think it just wasn't available (or MGR didn't use it) to start with. It tends to last a little longer with regard to its anti-corrosion properties than standard Ethylene Glycol based coolant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beth557

Water only in cooling system....how long for? 9 years 11 months ago #144939

Leaving just water in for a week will not hurt your cooling system. The downside of long term water-only use is hard scale deposits and corrosion, and water freezes.
Mark
95 MGF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beth557

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT