Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Stuborn Discs 10 years 3 months ago #137979

So it's MG Sunday again for me again and not such a success today.

In build up to the better weather I'm trying to get MG TF all ready so I can tax and enjoy it again.

Having replaced the heater matrix pipes this week I have decided to replace all discs and pads as they are a bit grim and probably won't pass the next MOT.

I managed to get some Pagid discs and pads for a good price from Eurocar Parts.

Rather than fit the new discs and pads and just let them sit and go rusty I thought I'd do some of the removal work today of the old stuff - how wrong was I....May the problems begin:

First my locking wheel nut key is close to knackered but managed to get 1 off so I hope it holds for the others - I have ordered replacements.

Removed caliper after a bit of a physical battle (no handbrake wasn't on) ....neatly tied out of the way.

Then I planned to remove the discs.....the first screw came out fairly easily but the second sheared so ended up banging a flat screwdriver bit into it with a hammer and managed to remove it in the end - I've ordered replacements of these too!

Now I thought I'd get the hammer out and remove the disc....or so I thought, do you think it would budge?

What are people's recommendations for removing awkward discs? When I previously changed discs on another car in used a blowtorch. However I've come across something interesting where you put long bots through the holes that hold the caliper to the hub and then tighten them with a nut so they effectively push the disc off. I've ordered some M6 110mm bolts as the holes are M8 so wanted them to go through.

What are people's thoughts on copper grease....obviously on the back of the pads but how about between the hub and new disc? How about between new disc and wheel?

Also ordered a caliper rewind tool set as need to do rear pads on another car too.

Once this is all sorted and one of the tyres is replaced/re-fitted should be good to go back on the road.

Many thanks

Hopefully will have some pics of things once I've got all the parts.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by richardgr88.

Stuborn Discs 10 years 3 months ago #137981

I always use the long bolt trick on discs and it works every time.
It's worth cleaning up the mating surfaces and applying a small amount of high temp grease before fitting the new disc. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Stuborn Discs 10 years 3 months ago #137986

Thanks David that's great news! I look forward to it all coming in the post :-)

Stuborn Discs 10 years 3 months ago #138002

Richard

The "Long bolt" removal technique works a real treat and is so easy to get seized disks with minimal effort. Make sure the hub is V clean when you re-assemble and put the new disk on, I recently fitted new front disks and the disk was not flat ( sitting on some crud) and the run out was off so the disk clicked under hard braking (drilled and slotted). All I did was strip it down again, clean and re-assemble - noise was them eliminated :-).

TB

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT