Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

My sub frame bolts have been on a diet! 10 years 5 months ago #133596

There are no planned MGF runs for a while and I have other cars on the road, so decided to complete the subframe mounting replacement and addition of a X brace. I have been soaking in penetrating oil for a few weeks and gave it another 24 hour douse this weekend then dropped out the front subframe rear mounting bolts.

Bolts came out easy enough :woohoo: However, they have been on a diet.... I assume the abrasion on the subframe has taken off the zinc coating and then the threads have gone (crushed and rotted)now looks like the tin weevil were in the home straight for eating through the rest of the fixing. I'm glad I did the job because another year and these could have snapped in leaving a whole different type of problem. Might be one to add to the maintenance list for checking/changing these fixings before they fail or corrode to the point of drilling them out.

TB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My sub frame bolts have been on a diet! 10 years 5 months ago #133597

Are you replacing them with OE spec or is this a good application for stainless steel? Interesting post - thanks.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

My sub frame bolts have been on a diet! 10 years 5 months ago #133602

Apparently stainless steel doesn't have the sheer strength needed for these sub frame bolts so it's o.e. all the way.
stevecrx
'98 'F, BRG Poverty Spec Edition
Build Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

My sub frame bolts have been on a diet! 10 years 5 months ago #133604

Invalid or non-existent item ID.Invalid or non-existent item ID.I got some zinc coated screws from Ebay

they should last another few years

TB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

My sub frame bolts have been on a diet! 10 years 5 months ago #133622

I would be leery about replacing the bolts with OE. I replaced a number of bolts/nuts under my MGF with OE parts and was shocked at their condition a year later. They looked like they had been there for many years. The quality of finish and the metal itself really s poor. I never used to see this kind of deterioration on older cars. (MGA/MGA, Triumph from the 50's-70's) If you replace with OE it would be a good idea to protect them with a spray of Waxoyl or similar. It may wash off but any little bit of protection will help

My sub frame bolts have been on a diet! 10 years 5 months ago #133650

Interesting info from that bolt supplier:-

The MGF & MGTF subframes are bolted upwards into the floorpan & into enclosed box sections using thread-cutting bolts, great for ease & cost of factory assembly but not so great for the owner as the car gets older - they are very prone to rust, worsened by the fact they're thread-cutting type - the helix cut-out in the threads allows moisture to seep down the entire length of the thread, the resulting rust makes them progressively harder to remove and will eventually lead to them failing. Replace these with much stronger items (12.9 grade) with more durable anti-corrosion protection before the factory bolts degrade too badly and you'll avoid a potentially very large headache in the future. Bolts are supplied with stainless washers, set of 12 bolts does one subframe - 8 for rear mounts (replacing KYP10004), 4 for front mounts (replacing YYG10005A)

As an example, this significantly weakened bolt came out of a 2005 MGTF -

David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrester

My sub frame bolts have been on a diet! 10 years 5 months ago #133658

How big a job is it to replace these sub frame bolts ;)

My sub frame bolts have been on a diet! 10 years 5 months ago #133663

The job can be "easy"! However I was very lucky the bolts came out with no problems. I did it in 2 jobs, first the front mounts, changing the mount, fixings and through bolts. Then moved to the more dodgy rear mounts. Having read some horror stories of snapped bolts etc. I soaked both set of bolts for about 2 weeks before each attempt. In summary the fronts are easier to do because you can get to the threads, I think the rears are a lottery if they come out (silent prayers in order when you load up the breaker bar).

I allowed a full week off the road for each set, but only needed 2 hours on the fronts (including removing/replacing the bumper) and 30 mins for the rears, I had all the bolts ready and was prepared to do the drill out and Helicoil if needed (see CJJ how to). However, I had been jacking up the car and blasting the mounts for 2 weeks with penetrating fluid.

Learnings:
  • Have a jack handy and set up to lift the car body as the axle stands will be under the subframe, this allows you to insert the big through bolt easily by moving the car up and down to line up the holes.
  • Have a big breaker bar for the through bolts, its really tight I bent my trolley jack handle, slid over a small bar.
  • Replace front mounts with Solid mounts on F, I used uprated ones from MGFandTFbitz.
  • For through bolts see Diesel Destroyer who has some 50 odd special 12.9 Zinc coated beasts that I am sure he will be pleased to sell.

• TB
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Forrester

My sub frame bolts have been on a diet! 10 years 5 months ago #133870

hack slash

Learnings:
snip snip

• Replace front mounts with Solid mounts on F, I used uprated ones from MGFandTFbitz.

• snip

TB

I am in the process of changing my front sub frame ATM but I was going to re fit the rubber mounts
    Any reason you swapped yours?

My sub frame bolts have been on a diet! 10 years 5 months ago #133875

Try one of the following options for solid sub-frame mounts:

£34 each delivered from MGFnTFbitz
    MGF MG TF METRO FRONT SMALL SUBFRAME MOUNTING - SHOT BLASTED AND POWDER COATED
    Completed

or
    £53.85 a pair delivered from B&G aka mgspares on eBay
    MG TF SUB FRAME FRONT MOUNTS, PAIR, SOLID TYPE, NEW (KGE000110x2)
    Buy It Now

I haven't tried the mgfntfbitz ones but I have used the B&G options..very solid as in a solid thing from planet solid..and nicely plated too..
    "You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
    - Frank Zappa
    Attachments:

My sub frame bolts have been on a diet! 10 years 5 months ago #133878

Ya can't beat a bit of zinc plated 12.9 action.
    Don't forget the copper grease and torque wrench fellla
    Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

• Page:
    Time to create page: 2.777 seconds