Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

ht leads 11 years 2 weeks ago #117221

Hi,

was going to fit some new spark plugs tomorrow as sometimes I get a little engine stutter under load from low rpm. Digging around on the net seems to indicate this is worthwhile. I fancy doing the HT leads at the ame time but there seems to be couple of types. My car is a 2002 MGF 1.8i - anybody able to advise on which ht leads I should pick up?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

ht leads 11 years 2 weeks ago #117227

David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: singlespeedman

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

ht leads 11 years 2 weeks ago #117254

• VVC160
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Van (not yet a camper) driver nowadays
I'm afraid my TF 160 (with expensive red coils I'm not sure to swap for new ones as they are £30 each at Rimmers) may require different items, too......
Does Magnecor supply improved coils?

Was wondering if I could find the same 8mm red Magnecors... Best seen price appears to reach

£30 non incl. postage!
Attachments:

ht leads 11 years 2 weeks ago #117278

Those leads above will fit all mems 3 engines including the 160.
Magnecor or Splitfire produce improved leads. There are no improved coil packs that I know of.:shrug:
David

ht leads 11 years 2 weeks ago #117279

'Single speed' Also check the spring connection under the coilpacks for corrosion,
David

ht leads 11 years 2 weeks ago #117318

will do - thanks.
have decided to hold off on fitting new plugs this weekend and get the ht leads and new coils all at the same time. Every time I look into my great car I find another bodge job repair (from the garage that sold the car in "perfect" mechanical order) so if I am going to go to the effort of working on the ignition system I will do the full hit next Sunday and know that everything is to my standards.

I am also keeping a record of all the bodges for trading standards as some have been really really bad.

Glad for the advice though as I now know what to buy

ht leads 11 years 2 weeks ago #117323

There is no special reason a coil should spontaneously fail (they do mind, I'm just saying) but usually I've found that coils fail because of as you say, corroded connections or other electrical gremlins (wonky multi-plugs or poor supply wiring) that eventually cause them to die.

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard "my Ford has blown another coil-pack" (I'm from the world of Ford!) to find they after the fifteenth garage has thrown on yet another coil-pack that there is poor connection in a plug somewhere or similar fault that's blowing the coils... Remake a few connections and the coil-packs go back to lasting indefinitely.

I don't think 'uprated' coils with necessarily provide the answer you're looking for.

Regards,
Andy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.919 seconds