Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

@*#@&%! Alternator belt gone awol! 11 years 3 weeks ago #116777

Coming home from the monthly MGF Register meet the Battery light came on followed by a squeal followed by a thud thud. Pulled over into a handy car park...

Gonna have to get the car recovered tomorrow..
TF160 - Mike Satur 4-2-1 manifold, Sports Cat, Quad Daytona, Z and F Tuning Phase 2 Remap showing 177Bhp @ Janspeed RR day and a Big Grin :D (oh and a glass rear screen and bits of shiny stuff)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

@*#@&%! Alternator belt gone awol! 11 years 3 weeks ago #116778

If it's just the alternator belt gone, why can't you drive it home ;)
What was the "thud, thud, thud" caused by :-?

@*#@&%! Alternator belt gone awol! 11 years 3 weeks ago #116779

I'm hoping the thud thud was the alternator belt coming apart, I didnt want the belt shredding the timing belt... or damaging anything else..
TF160 - Mike Satur 4-2-1 manifold, Sports Cat, Quad Daytona, Z and F Tuning Phase 2 Remap showing 177Bhp @ Janspeed RR day and a Big Grin :D (oh and a glass rear screen and bits of shiny stuff)

@*#@&%! Alternator belt gone awol! 11 years 3 weeks ago #116801

I had an alien taken over Fizz moment when all lights started coming on one by one on her instrument panel.... slowly died but ordered her a new alternator and whilst Daz was removing the old one I asked him to have a look at the belt as it would be silly not to replace it at the same time.............. and yes it was shredded :(

@*#@&%! Alternator belt gone awol! 11 years 3 weeks ago #116802

My belt shredded when the alternator seazed.

Ended up with bits of rubber all over my drive and a bill for a recon alternator (£65 if you were wondering).

Looking at the old alternstor the com had expanded so much it cracked the external casing...weird!
stevecrx
'98 'F, BRG Poverty Spec Edition
Build Thread

@*#@&%! Alternator belt gone awol! 11 years 3 weeks ago #116814

My alternator belt shredded while doing 70-ish on the A27... pieces joined the cambelt and threw it out 5 teeth on the timing!
It still drove, although very badly!!

Chris' went on the way up to Longbridge and wrapped itself around driveshaft. That was another AA call out :)

Have to be really careful when alternator belt goes as it can go anywhere

@*#@&%! Alternator belt gone awol! 11 years 3 weeks ago #116845

Good idea not to drive it.

Sunday, April 21, I tried to drive my F home with the alternator light on. I drove for an hour before the car quit. Had it recovered to our house. I took off the wheel and the access cover and found the belt AND the crank pulley lying on the frame AND the timing belt off it's gear. Who wants to put odds on bent valves? :bang:
Mark
95 MGF

@*#@&%! Alternator belt gone awol! 11 years 3 weeks ago #116847

I think it would be worth introducing a 'Change the alternator belt' into the 12 month service.
Considering the havoc a failure can cause, a few quid once a year to replace the belt seems like common sense. :yesnod:

Commiserations to all sufferers!
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

@*#@&%! Alternator belt gone awol! 11 years 3 weeks ago #116853

I am a little annoyed as my Alternator replaced a month ago, seems my mechanic didn't think it was worth doing the belt too. :(

@*#@&%! Alternator belt gone awol! 11 years 3 weeks ago #116876

I think it would be worth introducing a 'Change the alternator belt' into the 12 month service.
Considering the havoc a failure can cause, a few quid once a year to replace the belt seems like common sense. :yesnod:

Commiserations to all sufferers!

Yes good idea but 2 yrs would be ok as my first belt lasted 4+ yrs as did the second one now on my third
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Last edit: Post by helsbyman.

@*#@&%! Alternator belt gone awol! 11 years 2 weeks ago #116989

I agree with David, considering the cost of the belt compared to the carnage it can do, it also should be part of the 12 month service, together with a new pressure cap on the coolant bottle. :woohoo:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT