Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103318

Have just spent an enjoyable few hours doing my first significant piece of work on the F I bought in September - changed the alternator and belt! There were a few troublesome bolts, sorted out with PlusG*s (marvellous stuff) but other than that it all went reasonably well. I can't quite get over having to dismantle half the car to get at the engine though. Life was much easier with my first car - a Triumph Herald. With that you could lift the bonnet and get easy access to everything, including the front suspension - even had the wheels to sit on while tinkering with the engine!

Anyway, the F now has a nice shiny new alternator and it's charging perfectly, showing 14amps at the battery.

The only problem is that the Closing Panel was missing. That leaves me with a couple of posers- 3 actually:

1) How important is the closing panel?
2) What are they known as and where can I get one?
3) How easy would it be to fabricate one from suitable material, plastic perhaps? I don't even know what the material is at this point as there wasn't one there.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Robin
Robin ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103325

It's pretty important, as it keeps road dirt and rain water off the alternator.

I made one up out of a large flat piece of plastic. Cut it to size and used the scrivets (which will still be in the subframe) to attach it.

The originals appear to be made of compressed weetabix!
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103327

the TF has a plastic one - if it fits.

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103331

It's pretty important, as it keeps road dirt and rain water off the alternator.

I made one up out of a large flat piece of plastic. Cut it to size and used the scrivets (which will still be in the subframe) to attach it.

The originals appear to be made of compressed weetabix!

Thanks David, I suspected that might be the reason for it and also for the demise of my alternator - it must have at least been a contributory factor.

The problem I have now is that I don't have a template to make up a new one. I guess it's going to be trial and error with a bit of cardboard before cutting the proper material. I have a picture from the MG Rave Technical Manual which shows the basic shape. As you say the scrivets are still in the subframe, so that's something at least.
Robin ;)

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103337

Hi Robin

When I bought my "Eff" in Jan it had the original felt type panel. Unfortunately it was wrecked and no doubt contributed to the demise of two alternators.

I made one from some vynil type soundproofing material, but in the end bought one this week from Martin Smith off a TF. It fits, not as well as the one I made up but is made of plastic with very little flex in it, It also has slots in it too allow heat etc to escape, but I hope it keeps the water out.

I've used self tappers and washers to hold mine in place screwed into the scrivets.

Tone

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103360

I seem to be lucky, mine was in place and in good condition :woohoo: the result of getting a car that has been serviced by a main dealer each year of its life. I sprayed mine with Dinitrol stonechip coating . and refitted it with new scrivets.

You can see the closing panel behind the wheel, top fixing is the machine screw into the engine mounting bracket. I also undersealed the wheel arches with waxoil underseal then over sprayed with plastic stonechip coating.

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103416

I recently just bought one from mgfntfbitz, £25 for the plastic tf one. The firstwas made out of ccarpet lol
Holes in slightly different places though do make your own and bobs your uncle
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, cairnsys

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103451

Thanks Bryan

Looks like jobs a good un!

Robin
Robin ;)

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103457

Thanks Whiz, have just sent an enquiry to MGFnTFBitz, also to Martin Smith. I'll wait to see what comes back or maybe have a go at fabricating one from some plastic or aluminium if I can find something suitable.
Robin ;)

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103479

I bought a 50X50cm sheet of ABS plastic and formed my own with a heat gun.
Turned out great! :broon:

In Process

Finished and Installed

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103491

I'm impressed Rich. :broon: That looks way better than my tupperware lid. :yesnod: ;)

ps What's going on with the damper bottom mount? That's not the OEM fitting.:shrug: Or is it just the angle of the photo?

David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Rear Wheel Arch Closing Panel 11 years 2 months ago #103501

That really does look the business. Nice one!

I don't suppose you've still got the template that you could scan and email over have you?

Robin
Robin ;)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT