Sign In   Register

Topic

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8383

I do prefer the forced induction route for a daily drive. A supercharger will remove a lot of the heat problems you get with a turbo. Maybe a closed deck 1.4 with a blower and some headwork and cams etc? Could be tasty and reliable too.
To get big power from a NASP Vtec etc you are talking lots of revs and little torque or power till the top of the rev band. Having to be revving the nuts off it to make progress in traffic will get very boring I feel.
Unless you work the box to keep it in the 7k to 9k powerband like on a 2 stroke engine you will be going nowhere fast. Torque wins races :)
Hmmm.. Diesel transplant anyone? ;)

honestly i plant my foot all the time just to hear the exhaust lol, i get around 28mpg from my TF mainly for that reason (its the way i drive... couple that to the fact i heel and toe gear change meaning lots of throttle blips on down shift lol)

the whole point of the V-TEC is its very revvy...and exceptionally fun to play with too-boot i never evan thought of the torque issue

the car will be running stiff suspension on coil-overs and such so yes it will be my daily drive but it wont be "civilized" anyway

now im about to stretch my knowlage as far as i can go and hope you can help

is it possible to build a jeckle and hide car?

my coilovers will mean i can have a soft ride when i want and then drop the car to the floor for track days

so is the same possible with an engine... hears what i mean

figo has an option of two maps on his K-Pro prgramable ECU... as said one of 225 ish bhp (which he is running) and one of 240+bhp (which he doesnt, and i dont know why so feel free to pipe up mate :thumbsup: lol

im assuming the two maps can be choosen with the flick of a button on the ECU

sooooo could i run a "civilised map" to go along with a softer set up on my coilovers and then on days i plan a blast to the beach or a track day i could lower the shocks and switch to the "mental map" lol (dont you just love my engineering terms?)

if the civilized map was around 220 bhp that should stop me having to rev the nuts off the engine to get anywhere (something i'll probs do anyway because of my driving style) but at least i wont be stressing the engine all the time?

i hope the makes some sort of sence lol
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8417

Yes, a switchable map is entirely possible, the only issue would be how much physical tuning you do on top of the ECU tweaks. Any electronic gains can be easily switched back off again, but physical tuning less so.
I would think if you have to go into porting, different cam timings and duration etc that the engine may not be as drivable when you go to the low power map.
You will still have to rev the hell out of it anyway, otherwise they are really not that quick.
Example, I have a ZTT, with a Ron box on taking it to around 145 BHP etc.. It will easily keep with a Civic Vtec on normal roads due to its much greater torque and ease of getting at the power. On a track and with a good driver the Civic wins, but not by that much and its a far more relaxing drive in the ZTT.
Probably the best thing to do is go onto a good Vtec forum and ask the experts on there as I am certainly not one :)
Or get the same effect by keeping the revs down and sticking to one map? On my tuning boxes on the van and the car I went straight to max setting and left it there, to go slower, use restraint on the loud pedal :lol:

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8429

to go slower, use restraint on the loud pedal :lol:

thats the idea lol

i would be happier having the power and driving something "lumpy" around town, at least i know their will be some flexibility in the ECU side

as for torque... i realize it's going to be hard to get the same pull :( but i love revvy engines (call it the biker in me) lol... and i'm pretty good at keeping an engine on song (to the point where my dad in his 143vvc F (29 more bhp) finds it nigh on impossible to pull away from me) and i love keeping the revs in the sweet spot... mate that with a 8k redline on a V-TEC engine i think i'll be a happy boy! lol

come to think of it the V-TEC has two cam profiles... will have to get myself on the Type R forums and ask about how the economy cam works in a tuned engine

thanks for all the help btw mate :)
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8496

No worries, It sounds a very interesting project. I would love to be kept up to date with it all, especially the tech side of the engine.
Its got me pondering a T series conversion for mine, maybe supercharged though... Hmmm

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8500

No worries, It sounds a very interesting project. I would love to be kept up to date with it all, especially the tech side of the engine.
Its got me pondering a T series conversion for mine, maybe supercharged though... Hmmm

would be cool mind, i thought about T series but was discouraged by the weight and the fact that supercharging/turboing = heat and i didn't fancy messing on with intercoolers

after some trips to the type r forums and some general research it seems that a 300bhp V-TEC should be possible without any sort of forced induction just NOS (which is exactly what im after)

in-fact 240 bhp is achievable with only a modified exhaust system and manifold, an enclosed air filter and a K-pro ecu (in other words no engine mods)

265bhp-270bhp is achievable with Toda cams and up rated valve springs, this will also take the redline to a mental 9000rpm!

at this point I'm not sure what's do-able but I'm guessing with forged pistons a 25 shot of NOS shouldn't be a problem which is 290+bhp and very very close to my target without any forced induction!

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8502

by the way just incase anyone is interested, i went on a performance calculator i found on pistonheads

not sure how accurate this is but based on 290bhp, and the car weighing 1100kg (which is about right) these figures came up!

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 290
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1100
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 267.87
0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.40
0 - 100 (Secs) : 10.56
60 - 100 (Secs) : 6.15
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.71
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 109.74
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.61
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 111.01

thats TVR territory (i believe the cerebra was 4.0 seconds 0-60)

and a 1/4 mile of 12.6 seconds should be very impressive

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8505

Sounds very tasty mate. The joy of having a separate subframe is you can just drop the whole thing out and swap and fabricate away without the shell in the way.
The weight of a T series will be good for launching off the line, better traction etc..
What bike you got? I've got a CBR 1000f, a Norton Dominator and a Yammy TTR 250 in the garage waiting for the weather to warm up again.

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8506

Sounds very tasty mate. The joy of having a separate subframe is you can just drop the whole thing out and swap and fabricate away without the shell in the way.
The weight of a T series will be good for launching off the line, better traction etc..
What bike you got? I've got a CBR 1000f, a Norton Dominator and a Yammy TTR 250 in the garage waiting for the weather to warm up again.

sadly i Don't have one at the moment, i used to ride a 600 Monster, come from a big family of bikers (brother, father, grandfather!) and my dad was and is a fan of Ducatis... he has a 998 as his pride and joy and a Bandit 500 as a daily ride... i got rid of the Duke as i soon realized i was going to loose either my license or my life! at 19 i wasn't any where near sensible enough to have such a toy... not that i'm any better at 22!

i really wanted to get back into biking this year as a bit of fun and a cheap means to get to uni, but my relatively low income (being a student nurse doesn't pay much!) and high insurance on my TF and a bike i just cant afford it... so I'm spending the time and money on the car instead

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8521

I know what you mean about the licence... Its those days you go for a little run and everything just comes so easy, when you go below the ton its like you could just hop off and jog alongside the bike.
Its called going custodial I believe :whistle:

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8524

I know what you mean about the licence... Its those days you go for a little run and everything just comes so easy, when you go below the ton its like you could just hop off and jog alongside the bike.
Its called going custodial I believe :whistle:

lmao i know, when you hit a ton on the slip road by accident it doesn't bode well for the duel carigeway lol mind you on a Ducati the speedo is there more in an advisory role anyway lol

got to love italian electrics... whenever it rained the left indicator started the bike!

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8530

If it was British it would be called HERITAGE :whistle:

Been meaning to start this topic for ages: Engine conversion 14 years 3 months ago #8537

• Visitor
  • Visitor
HI,Adam/Andy.

Just had a Polish lad buy some parts,he's taking his TF back to Poland,currently a 135.

Talking about putting a Vr6 in the future.Has made some really nice looking led rear lights,will post pics when I get them.

What about a VR 6 engine?

Steve

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT