Sign In   Register

Topic

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7571

Alas tiny is stuck in the snow n ice tried to get her going but just cannot get enough grip rear wheels are just spinning .

She's on a slight hill and the road isn't gritted.

Not a happy bunny today. Had enough of the snow now :bah:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7575

Where is she hun?

Anything we can do to help? Either today or tomorrow when/if we pop over?

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7583

Where is she hun?

Anything we can do to help? Either today or tomorrow when/if we pop over?

Preston park station woodside road. Stuck between 2 hills not sure what can be done, but thanks for the offer.

Going to leave her overnight and hope for a bit of a thaw in the morning if not I'll take you up on the offer of help tomorrow

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7585

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

Alas tiny is stuck in the snow n ice tried to get her going but just cannot get enough grip rear wheels are just spinning .

She's on a slight hill and the road isn't gritted.

Not a happy bunny today. Had enough of the snow now :bah:

I had the same problem yesterday, I got out by having someone give me a push whilst applying some down force to the boot (couple of patio slabs) try pulling away in second gear or even third and be prepared to stall occasionally.

good luck

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7586

Preston park station woodside road. Stuck between 2 hills not sure what can be done, but thanks for the offer.

Going to leave her overnight and hope for a bit of a thaw in the morning if not I'll take you up on the offer of help tomorrow

Ok mate well just let us know! :yesnod: I'm sure Frank will think of a way to get her out and as always it comes with his special 5 minute guarantee! :lol:

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7592

random advice my dad gave me, he's a professor of engineering at EMTC and drives a 2.8i capri so as you can imagine he is having fun in the snow!

anyway he said (as gos advised) weigh the boot down, but if you get stuck or really have to get up a hill do it in reverse....

sounds mad but reverse gear is a much lower ratio and will allow a tad more traction while still having more controllability than using a higher gear... also if your halfway up a slope going forward and you loose traction you may veer off to the side into traffic... this isnt as much of an issue when reversing because the steering wheels are pointing the "right" way as you slip downwards... if that makes sense... worse case scenario is you drive forward normally and end up at the bottom of the hill again but at least you don't hit anything :)

not sure if that makes sense or was evan worth posting but i've been driving up the hill to my grandmas for the past 3 weeks backwards and its much easier!
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7607

random advice my dad gave me, he's a professor of engineering at EMTC and drives a 2.8i capri so as you can imagine he is having fun in the snow!

anyway he said (as gos advised) weigh the boot down, but if you get stuck or really have to get up a hill do it in reverse....

sounds mad but reverse gear is a much lower ratio and will allow a tad more traction while still having more controllability than using a higher gear... also if your halfway up a slope going forward and you loose traction you may veer off to the side into traffic... this isnt as much of an issue when reversing because the steering wheels are pointing the "right" way as you slip downwards... if that makes sense... worse case scenario is you drive forward normally and end up at the bottom of the hill again but at least you don't hit anything :)

not sure if that makes sense or was evan worth posting but i've been driving up the hill to my grandmas for the past 3 weeks backwards and its much easier!

I agree with you about the driving backwards up a hill trick, but I believe it's more to do with the fact that you have effectively changed your car into front-wheel drive by reversing up the hill.:dunno:
David
:shrug:

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7635

Thanks for the replies. Woken up to more snow this morning so not sure it it would be remotely wise to even try and move her today snow over ice not a good combo.

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7636

Thanks for the replies. Woken up to more snow this morning so not sure it it would be remotely wise to even try and move her today snow over ice not a good combo.

Lol I must really love you & Steve to be taking Slave out in this...

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7640

Beryl isnt too great in this weather either.. I have had to go out a cpl of times this week and every time I get back, she will not go back on the drive.. My drive is on a slight incline and she gets stuck and spins the back wheels straight into the kerb.... And of course its snowing here again today 'rant'
Angel to Devil in 0.2 seconds...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oi, stop using foul language or I'll give you one!

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7644

Beryl isnt too great in this weather either.. I have had to go out a cpl of times this week and every time I get back, she will not go back on the drive.. My drive is on a slight incline and she gets stuck and spins the back wheels straight into the kerb.... And of course its snowing here again today 'rant'

Excuse my French but I am so damn ****ing ****ed off with this snow now! Went to leave this morning to head over to Don's & the main road out of our town is closed so we are stranded here! Took me half an hour to go up the road and back and when I got back I couldn't get the damn car Back in the garage because like you it's on an incline so the wheels just get spin! I just hate this! There's no way in hell we'll be able to get to our interviews which means we'll have to reschedule AGAIN! I JUST HATE SNOW!!!!!!! :pcrage: :shooting: :rant:

Although if you want a little tip we put car mats in front of the wheels (well a neighbour did I just sat in the car cursing!) and then she went in the garage ok. :yesnod:

Stuck in the ice. 14 years 4 months ago #7665

I must admit, as much as I like the snow, I have had just about enough of it now.. I only go out if I really have to and as I am a primary carer for mother in law, 3 times a week is a must!!

Bit of a bugger looking as though you may have to rebook the interviews hun, but, its not worth risking your lives or damage to the car going out in this..
Angel to Devil in 0.2 seconds...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oi, stop using foul language or I'll give you one!

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT