Sign In   Register

Topic

Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69220

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Yes!! I'm the idiot!!!. I shut the metal clip of seatbelt in door and now door won't open from inside. I have spent ages with door card off and trying to re-seat handle, but the white plastic lug on the lever arm has popped out and even though I have to keep prising back in with screwdriver to get out of car, is really annoying. Can anyone suggest best way to securing this into the slot, I thought about super glue, would this be strong enough? The amount of times I have had to climb over into passenger side to get out of car and getting gear stick in places I don't care to mention.

Even when roof is down trying to get out of door is like being a contortionist. need to be double jointed as electric window doesn't work, but that is on another post.

Its the white plastic lug next to the spring, works find if i hold it down with screwdriver, so just need to secure it in place somehow either glue or maybe weld something
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by p3charmed3. Reason: better image

Re: Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69226

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Araldite should do it. If you post pics we can help you a bit more sometimes its hard to vision things from writing on its own.
If you take the door card off and look at the right hand side there's a little metal thing that is attached to the door pull coach this to move with a screw driver and the door should pop open.

I have some spare door pulls if its that.
:)

Re: Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69256

Thanks, but i dont think it is the pull itself, as that is in tact, it just needs securing so that it operates automatically without screwdriver.

Re: Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69280

I would buy a second hand unit from MGFnTFBits. In the long run it's the easiest answer, any repair will probably go again.

Although a better(in focus) photo would probably help.

I have a door handle mechanism in my hand as I type (don't ask :lol:)

There are two white plastic parts. One is the clip part of the cable outer sheath. The second is the securing clip that holds the inner cable end to the door lever.

David
:shrug:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mogatrons

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69305

I'm with David on this one ... for all the grief of repair and the likelyhood of future failure I'd cut my losses and replace it with a proven 2nd hand one.

Re: Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69308

its the 2nd of the clips that hold the cable to the handle that is the problem. will work no problem if i can keep it in place as when I pull handle it pops out that is why i just put screwdriver across the plastic lug and it keeps it in place to open door from handle.

Re: Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69310

Is the plastic clip broken?
It does swivel around to allow the cable end to be removed.
David

Re: Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69398

Plastic clip in tact. It is just this plastic clip attached to cable that has popped out of the hole in the door handle, that allows you to pull cable to open door. I can pop it back in, but it is keeping it there to operate door on its own without using a screwdriver. Maybe araldite is the answer, I think I will give it a try. Thx

Re: Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69399

I think I will try your araldite suggestion, it should be tough enough I think if this doesn't work, I think I will give it to local garage to see if they can put a metal plate or weld something over it. What are the chances of window and door going all at the same time. Really unlucky!!

Re: Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69402

I think I see what your problem is now, the clip can only be successfully put back in by removing the handle from the door.

The cable end needs to be out of the plastic clip before you push the clip back into the handle lever.
Then the cable end goes in and the plastic clip turned to snap onto the cable end.

If the clip is damaged so that it won't stay in, I could send you the white clip off this handle I have.(I have no use for it.) It is the passenger side handle but I'm sure the clip will fit the driver's side.

Unless you mean the white clip holding the cable outer.:shrug:

David
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69406

I have attached a better image. It is the clip behind the coil in your pic, there is a white plastic lug which is attached to the cable. The whole lug had come out of the hole at back of door handle. So I used two screwdrivers to push it back into the hole, but when I look at the left hand door, this lug is sealed or pressurised into the door handle hole to stop it coming out when opening the door. The plastic is still attached but just needs to be fixed permanently in place in this hole. It is that plastic piece I see in your photo on top of the coil spring. It doesn't have the handing white bits though so I guess this is what has sheared off.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by p3charmed3.

Re: Seat belt nightmare, idiot shut it in the door 11 years 7 months ago #69408

yes the inner cable end to the door handle, sound about right. So do I need to buy this whole unit, any idea how much these cost.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT