Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 9 months ago #62054

I use a Gunson one man bleeding kit that works well on clutch and brake systems.

The Gunson kit has a tank for new fluid which is pushed under air pressure (from the spare tyre) into the master cylinder and pipe work when the bleed nipple is slackened and why it's such a handy device for DIY one man operation.

Cars fitted with a clutch damper can be a PITA - despite using the Gunson.
This method worked for me:
Charge the Gunson with new fluid and connect it to the master cylinder and spare tyre.
Slacken the pipe connector at the damper unit that comes from the clutch master - until fluid comes out, then retigten.
Repeat with the pipe connector going to the clutch slave.
Now you've no air in the clutch damper.
Go on to bleed the slave cylinder.

Tip:
Be aware that clutch fluid strips paint - wiggle some some plastic sheet (from a milk carton) under the clutch damper to divert lost fluid onto absorbent rags.

HTH Jeff

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by xad3888.

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 9 months ago #62093

I was supposed to be borrowing my mates vacuum kit but he got last minute tickets to the Olympics so bailed on me.

Anyway all done now, with a one way bleed kit from Halfords and the front bumper off so I could jack the back up as far as possible. Four separate air pockets came through and another when I pulled back on the cylinder, I was amazed at how much air was in there.

It took two litres of fluid to get the bugger done, I literally had just enough left to top up the pot when I was finished, I was hoping to change the brake fluid when I was done but that will have to wait now.

Thanks for all your help guys :beer:

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 9 months ago #62098

• Visitor
  • Visitor
i have to do around two clutch bleds a month and they are always a joy

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 9 months ago #62099

Well Done!
This is one of those jobs that can be a doddle one day and drive you crazy the next! :broon:

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 9 months ago #62164

I feel for you, that's going onto my "NEVER DO AGAIN!!" list

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 9 months ago #62181

I see you got it sorted - well done!

My tip for getting cars jacked up at one end without grounding the other, is to run the car up onto decking plank offcuts.
For really low cars a short length (1foot) screwed over a longer length (2 foot) makes a convenient step that is easy to run onto. Used on all four wheels, it makes it easier to get a trolley jack under for the lift, and extra clearance at the other end. Thus avoiding bumper removal.

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 9 months ago #62197

I know I'm late to the party on this one since you've already got it bled and working again but I couldn't get mine to bleed (+2 hr without sucess) with until I made my own pressure bleeding system. It took about 5 minutes to bleed with this set-up.

Mark
95 MGF
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: quick_spider

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 9 months ago #62220

Looks like an inner tube offcut - with the schrader valve attached and jubilee clamped onto the reservoir. A very good idea Mark, provided the bleeding process does not use all the fluid in the fluid tank. I guess that a quick disconnect and refill is required if so.

I wonder if this rig could be used to pressurise the cooling system - as part of the 3 point bleeding routine?

Last edit: Post by xad3888.

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 9 months ago #62225

Yes, that's exactly what it is. I set air compressor's pressure down to about 5 psi and watch the fluid level closely.
Mark
95 MGF

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 9 months ago #62226

Its a really good idea. I initially wondered how feasible it would be to adapt into your own EZ bleed type system but I think it would be cheaper to buy the kit.

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 9 months ago #62239

• Visitor
  • Visitor
you just need to watch that you dont over do it on pressure,its a bloody stupid system on these mgfs,they have been a pain since day one.at the factory it was all pressure filled.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT