Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #61968

I've had a pig of a day changing my clutch cylinder seals.

Got everything off no problem (save for a stuck pin), seals changed easy enough, all back on the car no problem, bled the master all going to plan then came to bleed the slave and :bang:

First I just couldn't get anything out of the bleed screw so I disconnected the pipe and found I could pump fluid through so I thought it was a blocked nipple, took it out, nothing, it was completely clean. 30 minutes later took the cylinder back out and found the blockage was in the cylinder itself so cleared it and reassembled.

All now back on track and I pumped fluid through till the new stuff came through the nipple then tried pumping the peddle to get some pressure in but couldn't. Took the cylinder back out to check I hadn't blown the new seal, all fine and full of nice clean fluid but I still can't get any pressure, the peddle just flops to floor like it did previously.

Clutch release arm is stiff but moves, now coated in release fluid but surely I should be getting something from the peddle?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by davmor.

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #61975

• Visitor
  • Visitor
clutch bleeding is my pet hate,
first make sure all the pipes are connected,fill the pot at the front,open up the pipe from it to bleed it,its 13 mm spanner,dont take it off just open it so you can bleed it,then jack up the rear of the car as much as you can,pump the clutch firmly and in a slow and steady fashion,keep an eye on the level as it will soon drop.it can take some time,and it can have a lot of air in the pipes,hence the car is raised so the bubbles go to one end.
when the clutch is bled it will feel as a clutch should,if not you still have an issue,I vacum bled the dam thing but its never easy.
if the slave is damaged in any way or the clutch arm is stiff then this will cause an issue,
if you try and bleed the car on even ground the air simply moves forward when you push and then goes back when you lift off,also pumping the clutch like a mad man simply frothes up the brake fluid.

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #61976

Thanks, I've done all that. I'm starting to think its the release arm after everything I've read. I've left it to soak in plus gas and will have another go tomorrow.

Would a vacuum kit make much difference considering the fluid has run through the entire system and filled the cylinder?

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #61979

• Visitor
  • Visitor
i have pressure and vacume kits and non of them seam to make the job easier,it has taken up to an hour,gina tends to sit in the car .the best way ive found is to use a non return bleed valve and a vacum pump,another way is to back fill,simply get a plunger filled with fluid and pump in from the slave to the master,if the arm is siezed then the clutch will struggle.
you have to remember that it takes a lot of pressure to operate the clutch when all is right,how ever your pedal should still be firm.it sounds that yoiu have air.its the only cause of this problem.its the same as a brake system.it only takes a bit of air to cause this.your best bet is to jack the car up over night and let it settle,and see again in the morning.believe me you will only get angry with it,
it could be a damaged master unit also.
bear in mind the pipe is around 12 feet long and it only takes 3 small bubbles and you have a soft peddal

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #61982

Thanks for that, I changed both Master and slave seals.

Is it possible to still have air in the system even though its new clear fluid coming through the nipple?

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #61985

• Visitor
  • Visitor
yes,its a long pipe,when you push down on your peddle the fluid moves towards the back,then take you peddle off and the air bubble can move through the fluid towards the front again.hence jacking the rear up to try and get the air out.if you keep pumping you will see buuble,and it can take 2 liters to fully bled it.you have to remember that its a rear engined car,most cars only have pipes of around 3 to 4 feet,mgf are around 4 times that .they are a bloody night mare.some cars take no time some can take an hour.swaering at the car and telling it about the scapage scheme i find helps,and reminds the car that its survival depends on you liking it

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #61989

Will give it a damn good :spank: before I start again tomorrow!

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #61993

I've had success using an Eezi-Bleed.
I don't want to be a dick but could you have possibly put in a seal backwards? :pinch:
(I have done it so I know it's possible!)

With the clevis pin out of the clutch arm will it move by hand? (Even a little bit)

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #62034

A couple of mm but really stiff

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #62046

• Visitor
  • Visitor
rich may have a point

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #62047

ive done this before now put the seals on wrong way round lol,easy done

Re: Clutch bleeding 11 years 8 months ago #62052

Seals are in the right way, I double checked everything with pictures I took before and a couple of how to's and I have no signs of leakage with the new seals. Will report back later today hopefully with some success!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT