Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

help wanted with oil problem 11 years 11 months ago #49871

Posted this on another forum and didnt really get to the bottom of it, anyone shed any light, maybe CJJ...? see you are in morpeth, me too.
Thanks
Paul

Ok, MG been running fine, (its' the girlfriends), head gasket done, reciepts etc.

Other day noticed the oil was low, so thought i would top it up, all i had was castrol magnatec so topped the oil up with that. Car is fine when going in a straight line, no problems, but when you start to go around a roundabout smoke bellows out of the exhausts. I followed her around the roundabout and it pours out, then when the car straightens up it stops...!!! so in a straight line its perfect...!!!

Anyone got any ideas ?
maybe a mix of synthetic and normal oil, as its been ok until i topped the oil up.

No oil in the water or vise versa, no signs of any external oil leaks anywhere etc, its just coming from the exhaust when going around corners...!!! it's definatley an inertia thing.

we found that we can only top the oil up to just over the minimum mark on the dipstick, anything over that and we get the problem.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by nellee.

Re: help wanted with oil problem 11 years 11 months ago #49873

Poor valve stem seals passing?

Re: help wanted with oil problem 11 years 11 months ago #49874

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Just first thoughts - The mix of oil type won't cause a problem, however, have you topped it up too much?

Re: help wanted with oil problem 11 years 11 months ago #49879

Just first thoughts - The mix of oil type won't cause a problem, however, have you topped it up too much?

Thats what we thought PQD, although the dipstick didnt read that way, as i said, its ok now but have to keep the oil at the minimum mark, measured the dipstick too, just in case it was the wrong one, all seems correct, it only happened on cornering, would clear up in a straight line, os it definatley seems inertia related, otherwise we would get smoke all of the time..?

Re: help wanted with oil problem 11 years 11 months ago #49880

Interesting problem. It's hard to check when they're so low, I know. But I'd look to see if anything was visible and obvious underneath and at the manifold? If it only happens on a bend, could that oil top up you did be squirting out of a seal somewhere?

Re: help wanted with oil problem 11 years 11 months ago #49883

Pull your plugs out, you might have just one cylinder that has evidence of oil burning.

At least it will narrow it down a bit.

Re: help wanted with oil problem 11 years 11 months ago #49889

It does sound like there is too much oil in the sump, as Paul says.
Piston rings tend to give smoke all the time and increase the more power you are using.
Valve stem seals give smoke on the over run, ie when you lift your foot off the throttle.

If the dipstick is the correct one, I would check that the dipstick tube assembly has not separated at the joint below the top up vessel. This would lengthen the dip tube misleading you into overfilling.:shrug:

Also check that the dip tube is firmly attached to the sump-two 10mm bolts.
David
:shrug:

Re: help wanted with oil problem 11 years 11 months ago #49904

thanks David, my mate had an idea about that but we didnt quite know where to look for the tube separation, can you explain a little more about tube assembly ? it definatley points to over fill, but not according to the dipstick which i measured and and is correct. Other option is to change oil (which i have never done) and measure the contents to get an idea.
Car runs fine on the minimum level on the dipstick, no pressure issues, no temp issues, no smoke on cornering heavy, just when you go over that level, and on a roundabout, you get smoke, nothing in a straight line, looks like over fill yeah...?

Re: help wanted with oil problem 11 years 11 months ago #49913

This sort of thing used to happen in the old days with PC Valves. The diaphragm in the valve would fail and the engine would suck oil from the crankcase into the combustion chambers.
Don't know if there is a modern equivilant?

Re: help wanted with oil problem 11 years 11 months ago #49914

yeah, almost certainly a fill level problem. check out the glovebox(top of page) and Dieter's site he as an Electronic parts guide. Excellent for finding part numbers or what fits where. :yesnod:
You can see here where the plastic mini reservoir fits to the steel dip tube.
David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Re: help wanted with oil problem 11 years 11 months ago #49915

Thanks David will check it out now

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT