Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42764

I had to source bits for my 18 month old 85 from ebay because they were not available from MG.

I have been reading a thread on another forum and have found that other owners of the new TF and LE 500 have been having similar problems.
One person said he has recently had a coolant loss had the car looked at the car needs some new parts. The garage have been trying to get these parts from mg to be told they aren't available any more. His car is only 3 years old.

Another said his 09 car had the o2 sensor go and also had a faulty oil temp gauge, both he was told were not available from MG via the official route and so he had to order from ebay!
The gauge they actually could source but not the LE 500/TF 85/TF black backed one so he had to open up a new white one and the faulty one then swap the backing over to solve the problem.

The lack of some parts and some back up from MG is truly disgusting. It is a shame because these cars are great fun and have a very loyal following.
My local dealership Summit jumped through hoops to help me and are very good.
I know of owners of under warranty cars who have given up and fixed them on their own, this shows just how loyal a bunch MG owners are. They soooo deserve better from the company they support.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42771

From my STRICTLY personal standpoint, MG cars have had a very proud history and have produced some stunning cars over the years.

They, rightly, gained a very loyal following of proud owners and admirers over this time.

Mg were taken over/ amalgamated/ absorbed by a behemoth with various names. Many abominations had the MG badge stuck on them by the aforementioned monster company.

Finally, MGRover, produced their last true MG car, the TF and then, sadly, went out of business in 2005.

That a Chinese company bought the name and the tools to enable them to produce a car almost identical to The MGTF should not change the above stated facts. :nonod:

Accept no substitute, MG car production is dead, it is an ex-car builder, it has gone to meet it's maker...
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping, Red Devil

Re: MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42791

One of our club members has been waiting for 18 months now for a new flasher unit to be fitted to his 09 plate TF 135 :slapme: :bang:

Re: MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42800

• Visitor
  • Visitor
The dealerships have no reason to be loyal or helpfull anymore, unless you want to buy an MG6, some garages do try but most do not care...
Fact ..

Re: MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42803

My LE500 has been at the dealers for two weeks awaiting a new door locking actuator. On previous warranty matters it has been dealt within a day or so.

The problem is that NAC launched this car here in the UK and negotiated with Xpart to handle the spares along with all existing MG Rover spares. SAIC do not carry the spares for the TF, only for the 6 and future models. When I enquired with Longbridge why this was taking so long this time I was told that the NAC agreement with Xpart prevents them (SAIC) getting involved.

Luckily the new 6 is a far better built car and so far apart from an accident, our 6 has not needed any warranty work or spares in the 8k miles its covered over the last 9 months, and the parts required for the accident repair were supplied quickly much to the surprise of the bodyshop who based on MG Rover experience thought the car would be written off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Red Devil

Re: MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42857

It is good to read that MG have their act togetther on the MG6 Martin :broon:

However it is a shame that MGTF owners, who have invested their hard earned cash in MG are being left high and dry. What ever agrements have been made these cars should have a good and ready supply of ALL spare parts, from black wheel centre badges to complete engines.
You know yourself just how easy it is to get every thing for an MGB, I know MGC's, classic Mini's MG Midgets and Morris Minors are the same. I know of many very angry several and ex owners who will never buy an MG product again because of the poor service they recieved on their new TF's which is a huge shame. We all have a lot of 'love' and loyalty for MG's it is a huge pity that the company can not recepotate this.
I want to see MG thrive and get back to it's former glory, I just hope they will support the people who are supporting them. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42862

Thing is John, its nothing more than a badge and a marketing potential to sell cars in China.
Certainly at the minute anyway. Until they actually commit to the UK and Europe then any purchase of an MG has to be a massive gamble as far as backup goes.

Supercover has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Social hand grenades don't exist. ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Red Devil

Re: MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42865

Thing is John, its nothing more than a badge and a marketing potential to sell cars in China.
Certainly at the minute anyway. Until they actually commit to the UK and Europe then any purchase of an MG has to be a massive gamble as far as backup goes.

I think you are right, the name MG sells, especially abroad. The market in China is HUGE.

Re: MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42914

John, the ease of getting parts for classic MGs is far better than for getting parts for MG MMM/Z/F/TF simply because these parts have been remanufactured by independent companies like MGOC and Moss and that has nothing to do with previous owners of the MG brand looking after enthusiasts. Xpart are responsible now for heritage MG Rover parts supplies afaik, including the 2008> TF as a result of NAC negotiating that deal prior to being taken over by SAIC.

I do feel sorry for those owners of TFs that have been left short buying a new TF, but I also know of TF owners where MG have gone to great lengths to help such as with Redbeard's 85th when it was twice involved in an accident. More to the point, MG and Xpart have also tried to protect the buyers of the 2008> TF by insisting that a chassis number be supplied when ordering parts so that spares remain available for these owners and do not get consumed by owners modifying their older TFs.

Re: MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42923

MG do go to great lengths to help people but when I see people unable to get parts for their new cars and the hassel that some people have had to go through to get jobs done I can not help but think tht despite the efforts there is some thing not right.

I had to have a few things done to my TF85 (I will not go into the LE500, I think that was a Friday afternoon car ;) ) for instance my wheel centres were flaking. MG did not have any in that colour and said they would not have any again so they paid to have them sprayed. They did not know the paint code so the guy who did them tried to match it has best he could. It was an awful match.
I tried to get them redone when I bought the car back only to be told that MG had paid for the job once and would not pay again.
Summitt garage sorted it for me FOC (thank you John Newey) and the paint guy used some paint I had got mixed.

MG also said they would replace all of my wheel centers FOC which was very good of them. My wheel centers were the colour of the Twist Of Pepper wheels with Black badges. MG sent me Silver centers with Red badges. My point is they are doing their best but unfortunatly it is not good enough to make up for the parent companys failings on these matters.

Now badges and wheel centers are not an important bit of the car mechanically (although I am a fussy person and like things right) but now I see people struggeling to get bits to keep their cars on the road, which on motors that are 3 years old and in some cases less is just totaly unacceptable.

The gentleman who bought my spare wheel last week has had major problems with his 18 month old TF and has been stunned by the way in which his problems have been delt with. Go to garage, photo's taken, engineers come out to look at it, some jobs OK to do others not.

Many owners of the new TF are enthuisiasts and a fair few have fixed the cars themselfs, removing bumpers to fix reverse sensors, disconecting reverse sensors, buying second hand hard tops because the one supplied by MG was warped and there were non avalibe to replace them, buying Twist of Pepper Wheels from ebay because MG could not get them, replacing rusty bolts with stainless steel one's, buying white dials from ebay so they can put the black face from their broken one on it etc. to fix one of my delaminating wheel center badges I bought one off ebay it cost me £12.50, no way would MG reimberse me!

I am not having a go at MG, just stating what as and is happening, it is not good for buisness, does not show MG in good light, is terrible for the people who have spent their hard earned cash on a product and should be sorted.

Last edit: Post by Red Devil.

Re: MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42951

fom my experiance as an mechanical and electronics engineer , we design all the best cars come up with the best idears ect then we let the managers and been counters destroy what we design
things like ooo to expencive make it cheaper so you cut the cost to the point your product is now on the edge of unreliable

case in point BL never got it wright just look at some of the crap that came out but also some of the best cars where built (rover sdi 3.5)

ok all manufactures did have problems vauxhall had rust buckets ect but they have all now moved on unfortunatly MG stood still and the take over was just to get the name and sell in china as the requirements for saftey are a lot less than here

lukily i work for a company that sells its products on the basis of quality and dont skimp on design during the recession the company had the best ever turnover and they are going from strength to strength we have a total of 55 people working there and turnover of over 7million and we manufacutre on site :)

as i grew up i loved mgs mg b gt and then the f came along and i wanted one but iv never had the cash to buy new so iv always brought second hand,
out of all the cars iv owned i have to say the F was the worst car for reliability and cost of ownership parts just weare out to fast where other makes you could do 100k and still not have to do any majour work

unfortunatly my blue f cost me a small fortune and eventualy i gave up and it has taken the shine out of owning an F or even a TF
our red f still cost us lots over the years but was better than the blue F but hunting to get spairs at a reasonable price ect became a nightmare as im fussy with my cars

i had the chance to go out in a demmo MG6 it miss fired every time you pulled away the interior was poor quality and the finishing around the edjes was much to besired for a 20k new car
i like the look of the mg6 but would not buy one as the quality lets it down and what happens in 3 years time will they still be in existance they need to take a look at landrover as there going from strength to strength

and from the problems iv herd about and seen the results of mgs repair of peeps cars ill be walking in a different direction when i next need a car
shame realy as i like to support brittish products

just my point of view from some one who loves the cars but not the agro that goes with it

just to point out we had a mondaeo mk2 i did 80k miles serviced it 2 times and all it needed in that time was brake pads and a cambelt and oil changes so realy cheap for an every day car
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Red Devil

Last edit: Post by MGF MARK.

Re: MG should do better! 12 years 1 month ago #42960

That Demo MG6 must have been rubbish :bang: a number of our club members went to Prodrive in Warickshire to a test day with the MG6 GT shortly after it was launched and all came away with such praise, so much so , one member ordered one to replace her ZS and reckons it was the best thing she has done. We had two dealerships at the finish of our Surrey Run last year, each with MG6 GTs and one offered a raffle prize of a weeks use of the car with unlimited mileage. One of our club members won the prize and quite honestly said that he didnt want to give it back. I have only heard good things about the MG6.
Hopefully MartinW will step in and add his comments about the MG6 please.

You must remember that the MGF was produced on a "wing and a prayer" from all the bits they could find in the parts bin, Mayflower part funded the cost of the bodies because MGR could not pay the full price, BMW tried hard to cancel the project, so it was built on a shoestring. The HGF problem was known about very early on, but Rover did not handle it well and it grew and grew like a headless monster, silly things like the plastic head dowels being used because the very early ones were steel and fused the head to the block, making head removal impossible and creating a scrap engine!! the plastic dowels then allowed head shuffle with heating and cooling and destroyed the silicone seals on the head gaskets. the subframes and suspension and brakes came from the Metro and they didnt last that long on the Metro either. Some of the parts for the MGF are more expensive than say the MGB but i dont think they are expensive compared to other cars. h front discs for my Honda Accord are £150 a pair and standard pads are £50, mid you my front discs are nearing 90,000 miles and are the originals and are nearly ready for replacement. the pads have been change on the fronts about every 18,000 miles and the rears at 28,000 mile intervals. The Metro brakes on the F dont last that long, but they are not expensive. Compare tis with a pair of discs and pads for my MGB for £25 and they are genuine ones !!!

Sorry to rant on, but a lot of people think the F is a Money Grabbing F.... :rant:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate,

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT