Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3157

Well last night checked the expansion bottle and she'd gone down by a good 1cm at least......

Topped up and hoped it was just a long standing air bubble that dislodged (wishful thinking!)..

Anyway checked this morning and it had gone below the seam again (maybe due to the water cooling after loss). I topped up, and dropped other half to the train station... When I got back (about half and hour of on off traffic) I checked the water and it seemed ok. Then I left the engine running and went and smelled the radiator as I saw a puff of steam from that area when I was in traffic (although it could have been just water evaporating off as it is wet today!) and I am sure I can smell warm coolant.. should I be able to smell warm coolant if the rad is not leaking? It's her original rad by the way so the old copper core type.

If it is the rad then I'll grab an alloy one off eBay and pop it on as I have to go to Milton Keynes next week in her!

OH almost forgot - no water in the oil - it's perfectly clean.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3159

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Well last night checked the expansion bottle and she'd gone down by a good 1cm at least......

Topped up and hoped it was just a long standing air bubble that dislodged (wishful thinking!)..

Anyway checked this morning and it had gone below the seam again (maybe due to the water cooling after loss). I topped up, and dropped other half to the train station... When I got back (about half and hour of on off traffic) I checked the water and it seemed ok. Then I left the engine running and went and smelled the radiator as I saw a puff of steam from that area when I was in traffic (although it could have been just water evaporating off as it is wet today!) and I am sure I can smell warm coolant.. should I be able to smell warm coolant if the rad is not leaking? It's her original rad by the way so the old copper core type.

If it is the rad then I'll grab an alloy one off eBay and pop it on as I have to go to Milton Keynes next week in her!

OH almost forgot - no water in the oil - it's perfectly clean.

That sounds alot like when the rad started going on slave 1, relatively small losses of coolant, slight smell, all of it! :) The way we tested it was going for a small run then parking the car on a incline where the front of the car was pointed downwards, thats when we noticed a small drip, drip from the front :)

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3160

Exactly what I was gonna do until it started peeing down today and now I cant tell if its leaking or not! Bloody typical! GGRRRRR

:banghead:

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3165

It is the radiator! I took the bumper off and top panel, wiggled and it dripped worse - bloody hell! Where ot get one quick today near Greenwich! GGRRRR

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3167

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3168

I got our new alu rad from Budget-radiators on ebay. Good quick service. :dunno:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/rover-mgf-car-radiator_W0QQitemZ280420326923QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item414a5a9e0b

Got the possibility of a 6 moth old standard rad for £25 - if that doesn't come off I'll go ally - thanks...

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3170

Got the possibility of a 6 moth old standard rad for £25 - if that doesn't come off I'll go ally - thanks...

Watch it doesn't have holes in it!
You know what 'moths' are like.:whistle::lolf:
David
:shrug:

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3172

Watch it doesn't have holes in it!
You know what 'moths' are like.:whistle::lolf:

Hehe yea - I will pick it up so have a good butchers first. Bought Meg's rear hubs and replacement dash from the same guy so I think he's ok.

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3210

• Visitor
  • Visitor

I got our new alu rad from Budget-radiators on ebay. Good quick service. :dunno:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/rover-mgf-car-radiator_W0QQitemZ280420326923QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item414a5a9e0b

Same place we used for the alu rad, great service :thumbsup: Think we ordered it on monday afternoon and got it first thing tuesday! :)

Glad to hear the prob is diagnosed Adam and it wasn't anything worse *cough* HGF *cough* :lol:

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3237

Same place we used for the alu rad, great service :thumbsup: Think we ordered it on monday afternoon and got it first thing tuesday! :)

Glad to hear the prob is diagnosed Adam and it wasn't anything worse *cough* HGF *cough* :lol:

Thanks me too! Picked rad up just now - 6 months old - £25 - standard one but its solid and rust free....

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3238

Thanks me too! Picked rad up just now - 6 months old - £25 - standard one but its solid and rust free....

Good news, Adam.
Looking forward to bleeding the system?:whistle:
David
:shrug:

Meg lost some water! 14 years 6 months ago #3299

Popped the rad on this morning before work, bled the heater and radiator (i kept the pipes high so little water ran out).... refilled the expansion tank right to the brim... opened bleed on rad and got most air out... then did the heater bleed, then the rad again. My mum kept checking expansion tank! Bless her!

Started her up and waited for warm heater and voilà - everything fine!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT