Sign In   Register

Topic

Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31488

TO REMOVE IT?

I've actually gotten as far as removing the housing from the clutch, but I can't get it past the LH subframe.

I've followed all the steps in the manual, bar 1

Step 65 Remove crossmember, See body, Exterior fittings

Well for a start Body isn't listed in the index at the front, but I've found it, but there's no cross member removal procedure at all.

I've also looked through the suspension, and the sub frame rear details, not listed there either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if someone could provide a link to the manual online, so I can compare, it'd be appreciated.
:yesnod:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by IPEX-731BA5DD06.

Re: Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31489

Looked through the online manual version, exactly the same as my printed version, minus the oil and grease stains.

mentions a Crossmember, refers to BODY, Exterior fittings, not listed again in index, not in body section.

Is it the metal bar across the back of the sub frame, is so, do I remove the 2 nuts/bolts, 15 or 13 Mil, on underside and one 17 or 19 mil nut/bolt on face as well, on each end/corner

Re: Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31490

Yep, agree! I don't know what crossmember refers to.:shrug: I know Clive has how tos on engine and gearbox, have you looked there?
David
:shrug:

Re: Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31499

Looked through the online manual version, exactly the same as my printed version, minus the oil and grease stains.

mentions a Crossmember, refers to BODY, Exterior fittings, not listed again in index, not in body section.

Is it the metal bar across the back of the sub frame, is so, do I remove the 2 nuts/bolts, 15 or 13 Mil, on underside and one 17 or 19 mil nut/bolt on face as well, on each end/corner

I found this on deiters site, it may help

www.mgfcar.de/gearbox/clutch_replacement_MGF.htm

Re: Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31517

Thanks for replies.

I looked at Deiters posting on how to remove, he's much more competent and confident then I am, and didn't remove the clutch housing at all.

I've been so caught up trying to remove it as per books steps, but just pushing into resonators space to give working room seems to make sense. I've done that trying to maneuver it out BETWEEN THE BODY AND THE ENGINE (as per manual)

I'll follow Deiters Gear box removal guide , and remove the pressure plate and fly wheel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young

Re: Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31521

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
This is the crossmember. It is held in place by 2 bolts at each end and I think it's only purpose is to support the gearbox mount.

As you have already found out, most people who do the clutch in situ don't touch the crossmember.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31522

Aha! :thumbsup:

They call it the 'Buttress' in the workshop manual. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31528

Thanks for the reply, but I think your confusing the 'crossmember', this fictional item in the manual, with the Buttress, too which is attached the engine mounting.

The buttress I've long since removed, as you can't get out the resonator with it in place.

I've got the right sub frame raised up 4 points on the jack (holes in arm) I'll either try lowering that down, and as a result lower the LH side of the sub frame, or just remove the right hand side as well.

Had a thought, I'll look in the TF manual for this 'crossmember' action.

Re: Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31529

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
And in the parts catalogue it is known as a "Longitudinal-rear subframe upper "

I think it is a part of many names. :yesnod:

Re: Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31587

I'll tell you how to get a "cross member"

1st. Put reference into workshop manual, about a procedure that's not recorded at all.
2nd. Add 35 Degree temp, and then work on Gear box, trying to maneuver the casing out between the sub frame and the engine as per instructions.
3rd. Factor in the rounding of bolt heads, raising and lowering of rear sub frame, front end, manual movement of gear box casing to and fro, hauling 2 ramps down 1 flight of stairs.
4th Finally accept, after 7 hr's of maneuvering, Internet consultation, lying in pools of oil and muck, working in direct sunlight with no shade. :rant: At least I had a hat on.

End result,

1 Cross member, A fictional part that can't be removed (its welded into sub frame), 2 rear Hydra-gas spheres removed (I am replacing with springs), 1 gear casing unbolted (sheeze, 3 different size bolts) and a late thunderstorm to cap off day's work.

All in all, a job that shouldn't take more then 1-2 hrs, takes 7, gives 1 headache next day, and rains to wash away my woe's

Re: Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31591

My heart goes out to you.
Better break out the stubbies! :yesnod:

Re: Removing clutch- "what's a Crossmember, and how 12 years 6 months ago #31592

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
IPEX :unsure: IPEX, IPEX, you're looking at this all wrong, your car, she loves you, she wants your attention, she gets jealous when you spend time with others away from her, this is just her way of showing how much she loves you.

:thumbsup:

:bust:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dieter

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT