Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28477

Want to try living where I am. I'm pulling in a massive 112 kb download at the moment. BT are pushing infinity and they can't even supply basic 1 meg to a lot of people. If I want to watch the you tube clips on here I either have to wait til I get into work or put it on pause for half an hour and wait. Wouldn't be so bad if they gave you a discount for having such a crappy service.

Oh wow, that's not much better than dial-up. :nonod:

The government is supposed to be injecting money into Cumbria so that we can all enjoy hi speed broadband :dry: I'll believe it when I see it. :whistle:
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28485

Here's mine:

I watch a lot of NFL/baseball via the official websites. I get seamless 1080p with 5.1 on both, which is better that the 720p you get from Sky/Virgin and these feeds come from the US!

It won't be long before you will be able to get anything you want to watch via the net, which hopefully may impact that money grabbing b********d Murdoch's stranglehld on TV in the UK :yesnod:

Just need to get broadband nationwide ;)

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28491

I have to say the faster BT are forced to roll out Infinity to everywhere the better. We were stuck with 1Mbit download and 256Kb upload until Infinity. Now it's a little better - and to stay on-topic the page loads in 0.58 seconds using Chrome.

Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28492

Just done another one and it's better this time: :omg:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28499

For some reason I have a better download speed from Belgium.:shrug:
David

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28502

this is all very interesting, but its not explaining the slow page loads I'm experiencing :whistle:
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28503

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
Comes down to a few things.

1. Page size. They are pretty big and there's not much caching going on. If i increase the cache level we start getting login problems. A better page loading method is in the pipeline

2. Unoptimized code. Site was thrown together in 7 days. I took over just before our first birthday and wanted to get the new look in place for the birthday. Six months should have been the target. A lot has been optimized since. But not all can be applied to the current site without taking it down

3. Server the site is sitting on. All though better than the last one. It's still cheap and not dedicated to the site. Moving on to better hardware needs a constant revenue stream to pay for it.

After 11 months of developing and tweaking we are gearing for a site refresh for our 2nd birthday. This has almost reached the stage for public testing. So I'm after 5 members who are willing to spend some time during the next few weeks testing the new site. Each tester will get a site tester award.

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28504

Do you need ordinary members or will I do?
David

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28505

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
Normal members. You were assumed. Besides which you have all ready been testing it :)

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28506

What does the testing entail?

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28507

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
Nothing more complicated than clicking on the odd button and letting me know if it works or not.

Re: site page loading 12 years 7 months ago #28508

Ok, sign me up when required.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT