Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24570

Anyone else had this? Noticed mine were definitely dripping from the front bracket so just taken them off. Can't bloody see where it is so not sure how I'm going to fix(bodge) it for the time being :lol:

Anyone else had any fail?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24573

EEk -first time I have heard that!

I was down at Stirling Automotive and they commented that it's something they've never seen either whilst trying to sell me a set. Is it the rubber hose join that's leaking or the metal pipe itself?

Re: SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24575

I hadn't heard of it either. I was under the impression of fit them and never worry again pretty much :yesnod:

From what I can see is it's leaking where the front most bracket is welded to the pipe itself. I've cleaned them up and dried everything and there is still water that I can just about see under it. They did only leak when the car was cooling down but that was enough to go through a 5 litre bottle of coolant in a week :blink:

I've got some chemical metal stuff which I think i'll try for the time being and get another set ordered to replace next week,

Last edit: Post by gotenks1321.

Re: SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24578

sounds like an over enthusiastic welder got the metal a little too hot and blew a hole into the pipe. Not sure how good chemical metal is under pressure, but it will make any future welding a pain having to clean it all off.
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Re: SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24579

I think you might be right there Pete, that particular area on the pipe does look different to the rest. Hard to explain really but I'd imagine it's either from the coolant or from the welding.

The chemical metal will only be a temp fix as I need the car for the beginning of next week, as soon as I can get hold of a new set of pipes I'll swap them over. I suppose the current ones could possibly be welded and fixed, hadn't really thought that far ahead :lol:

Re: SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24587

I think you might be right there Pete, that particular area on the pipe does look different to the rest. Hard to explain really but I'd imagine it's either from the coolant or from the welding.

The chemical metal will only be a temp fix as I need the car for the beginning of next week, as soon as I can get hold of a new set of pipes I'll swap them over. I suppose the current ones could possibly be welded and fixed, hadn't really thought that far ahead :lol:

Any chance of a warranty claim?
David
:shrug:

Re: SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24591

Bought them in October '08 from MGOC so I doubt it unfortunately :lol: The fact that the putty has now cured and I'm off out to fit them again might cause some issues with a claim too ;)

Been thinking about the possibility of just replacing them with a length of silicon piping with suitably space brackets to hold it all secure and protect it. Stronger than rubber and more flexible than the steel ones, will have to price it up and see :thumbsup:

Aw: Re: SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24599

Do it properly Dan, don't save at the wrong end ;)
MGF 1.8i - Nighfire Red (CAQ) - Daytona - 52mm TB - TF Steering Rack - Compliance Washers - Clear Indicators - Assorted Bling

Re: Aw: Re: SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24611

Do it properly Dan, don't save at the wrong end ;)

No need to worry there Stephan :) The fix I've done today is only temporary and if I go for the silicone route it'll be done properly and will last the lifetime of the car :yesnod:

Last edit: Post by gotenks1321.

Re: Aw: Re: SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24663

Temp fix didn't work :(

Cost wise to replace the underloor pipes with silicone is looking around £100 so I think I may go down that route.

Can anyone think of any reason not to?

Re: Aw: Re: SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24664

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
Probably less heat loss through the silicon than the SS, don't know if that would be a problem though, The little additional cost does make the Silicon an attractive option.

Whats your plan for Brackets?

Re: Aw: Re: SS underfloor pipes failure 12 years 11 months ago #24670

Do the steel ones lose that much heat? Hadn't really thought about that.

For brackets I will probably adapt the existing ones from the SS pipes for the time being and make something up that's a bit more long term once I know it's all working ok.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT