Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23604

OK, this is the state of my front anti roll bar bush, I found today without even looking

Obviously needs replaced.

Looks VERY easy, two bolts, bracket, new rubber. replace with new rubber/bracket and bolts. Job done....

BUT

1) I had it up on ramps so it was very accessible etc. Question is, what sort of load is on the ARB when car is on ramps? Will it be as easy as it looks to remove, or will I need to take load of wheels, by jacking somewhere else?

and 2) What sort off effect woould a knackered bush have...i.e. what will be improved

3) Looking at rimmers website, there's an OEM and an aftermarket bush, price £1,50 for aftermarket (3 quid for two)...or £8.50 for OEM...so 17 quid for two....... Likely to be any difference? Look a wee bit different in pics (number 14 here )

AND another....:whistle:

this is front subframe mount, under radiator area. Its GREEN....is this normal or has someone uprated it at some point. Looks like a poly rather than just rubber, Never seen a green bush on an F before. Just wondered if its normal or not?

The "U" shaped mounting that is welded to the unserside of the subframe looks a BIT BENT!!! the bracket that bolts to these two mounts that holds the bush and ARB in position has been flattened too, it looks to me like someone has jacked the car up under the mounting bracket. you will see when you get it off. You can get plusgas from Frosts by mail order www.frost.co.uk

I would go for poly bushes on the ARB and not rubber.

Hope this helps

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23605

Bryan may be right. It does look a bit squashed.
When I did my suspension bushings I got a set of poly ARB bushes in the kit
but the bolts on the front bar were so rusty I decided to leave them till later when I would have time to redrill and tap them if necessary. You may want to heat the bolts up with a propane torch before having a go at removing them.
If they are anything like mine it's almost guaranteed they will shear off.
BTW: I use a lubricant called Tri-Flow. Not sure if it's available in the UK but it's wonderful stuff!

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23616

Yep, well spotted Bryan!:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23618

When we picked up a free maestro a few years ago that was running hot (there was hardly any fins left in the radiator) and had a terible knocking on the suspension it turned out that the ARB bush surround had failed so the bar was knocking. I managed to change it with no effort with all the wheels on the ground. I may have been helped by all the hub grease that had been dumped on it when the gatior had previously failed and not been cleaned up when repaired.

I would only bother going for poly bushes if you are going to change both.

I went to buy some plus-gas yesterday from my local factors, he offered me WD40 and swafega duck oil, both of which evaporate in minutes, he then found some comma release oil, I'll let you know if it is any good.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23621

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

The "U" shaped mounting that is welded to the unserside of the subframe looks a BIT BENT!!! the bracket that bolts to these two mounts that holds the bush and ARB in position has been flattened too, it looks to me like someone has jacked the car up under the mounting bracket. you will see when you get it off. You can get plusgas from Frosts by mail order www.frost.co.uk

I would go for poly bushes on the ARB and not rubber.

Hope this helps

Thanks Bryan. Yes , they both look deformed!. Most places seem top be sold out of polys, but will keep looking

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23622

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Bryan may be right. It does look a bit squashed.
When I did my suspension bushings I got a set of poly ARB bushes in the kit
but the bolts on the front bar were so rusty I decided to leave them till later when I would have time to redrill and tap them if necessary. You may want to heat the bolts up with a propane torch before having a go at removing them.
If they are anything like mine it's almost guaranteed they will shear off.
BTW: I use a lubricant called Tri-Flow. Not sure if it's available in the UK but it's wonderful stuff!

Thanks Rich, looks like I'd better prepare for some trouble then...

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23623

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

When we picked up a free maestro a few years ago that was running hot (there was hardly any fins left in the radiator) and had a terible knocking on the suspension it turned out that the ARB bush surround had failed so the bar was knocking. I managed to change it with no effort with all the wheels on the ground. I may have been helped by all the hub grease that had been dumped on it when the gatior had previously failed and not been cleaned up when repaired.

I would only bother going for poly bushes if you are going to change both.

I went to buy some plus-gas yesterday from my local factors, he offered me WD40 and swafega duck oil, both of which evaporate in minutes, he then found some comma release oil, I'll let you know if it is any good.

Cheers. I have used coma stuff before, and the 3 in 1 David linked to above, they have all bee as good as each other...i.e. not very :lol:...but then I am probably too impatient and don't give long enough to soak. Good to hear you didnt have problems !!!!

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23669

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
One is PeteVick friendly, the other isn't ;)

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23778

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
OK, who's big idea was it to do the "replace with new as you go along" route? :angry:

I'll replace my ARB bushes, only cost a few quid each....so why is my wallet 100 quid lighter :(

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23780

it was your idea I believe

what else did you find that you couldn't be without then :lol:
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23781

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well, poly bushes, then new brackets for them, then new bolts for the brackets...of course the ARB joins up to the drop links.....so may as well get new drop links, oh and new bolts and new nuts for the drop links...add on your vat and postage (from two different companies so two lots of postage) and its just short of a ton!:pinch:

I was even close to buying a new ARB!!!

Last edit: Post by .

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23786

Temptation is a Terrible Thing My Son!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT