Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23586

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
OK, this is the state of my front anti roll bar bush, I found today without even looking

Obviously needs replaced.

Looks VERY easy, two bolts, bracket, new rubber. replace with new rubber/bracket and bolts. Job done....

BUT

1) I had it up on ramps so it was very accessible etc. Question is, what sort of load is on the ARB when car is on ramps? Will it be as easy as it looks to remove, or will I need to take load of wheels, by jacking somewhere else?

and 2) What sort off effect woould a knackered bush have...i.e. what will be improved

3) Looking at rimmers website, there's an OEM and an aftermarket bush, price £1,50 for aftermarket (3 quid for two)...or £8.50 for OEM...so 17 quid for two....... Likely to be any difference? Look a wee bit different in pics (number 14 here )

AND another....:whistle:

this is front subframe mount, under radiator area. Its GREEN....is this normal or has someone uprated it at some point. Looks like a poly rather than just rubber, Never seen a green bush on an F before. Just wondered if its normal or not?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23587

Whats that chances of these bolts snapping when you undo them :dry:

I have not replaced these bushes but would suspect if you had the car jacked up but allowed the wheel to hang down then this may put some downward force on the roll bar as its attached to the bottom suspension arm. If you get an axle stand under the subframe then get your jack under the wheel or lower arm to move the arm back up again but not to take the weight of the car.

My subframe mount is green as well on the F - I remember reading somewhere about the green colour but I am not sure now what it meant - guessing to signify a stronger replacement - perhaps even the subject of a recall early on in the life of the F.
MG TF LE500 27 of 500
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23589

1. Wot he said.
2. Will tighten up (reduce)body roll when cornering. Improve steering feel. Probably stop the odd bang as well.
3.They're virtually identical. Save your money and go aftermarket.
4. Wot he said, but that does look like poly.
David
:shrug:

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23590

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks ;

yes i fully expect the bolts to not come out easily :lol: hence everything will be getting replaced

Good to know you have green ones too. Never noticed it on the old car to be honest

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23591

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

1. Wot he said.
2. Will tighten up (reduce)body roll when cornering. Improve steering feel. Probably stop the odd bang as well.
3.They're virtually identical. Save your money and go aftermarket.
4. Wot he said, but that does look like poly.

thanks ;)

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23594

1. when the wheels hang equally, there is no load on the ARB, its only when one wheel is under load that the ARB is loaded. I have removed the ARB bushes with the wheels hanging and once the bolts are removed, the ARB swings down under its own weight.
2. the bushes do very little, apart from keeping the ARB in place, they have no effect on body roll, the ARB diameter affects that. Replacing those bushes will reduce any noise your experiencing from the front end for sure.

3. I'd go for the after market ones and buy beers with what you save.

Spray loads of Plusgas on those bolts the day before.
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Last edit: Post by petevick.

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23597

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Pete.

so if car is up on ramps at front, then both wheels are under load together so it will eb Ok? Would make it easier.

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23598

yep, as far as the ARB is concerned, the wheels are neutral, and so is the load in the ARB.
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23599

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
nice. Well if bolts come out, then it should be a 5 min job (famous last words......)

Will use an impact wrench to hopefully help

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23600

nice. Well if bolts come out, then it should be a 5 min job (famous last words......)

Get plenty of Wd40(sorry Pete, couldn't resist) Plusgas on those bolt threads.:lol:

As you can get at the threads, I'm hopeful they'll come out OK.:broon:
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23602

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Get plenty of Wd40(sorry Pete, couldn't resist) Plusgas on those bolt threads.:lol:

As you can get at the threads, I'm hopeful they'll come out OK.:broon:

Ive still never been able to buy plusgas up here for some reason :(

I've got "shock release"...its release oil that freezes the bolt....as you say , you can at least see the thread, so easy to soak.

Re: Front ARB bush ...and subframe mount---question? 13 years 2 weeks ago #23603

I use this.
David

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT