Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Every cloud has a silver lining...... 13 years 3 weeks ago #23113

......... or

I should have known as soon as I got out of Bed

that it was going to be a bad day.

I over slept yesterday morning by 45 minutes, not a huge problem as I was planning to get into work an hour early, in the end I was 20 minutes early.

Then the mobile mechanic I had arranged for 2 pm rang to say he was going to be early so I had to take an early lunch and arrange for my son to come round to "mobile mechanic sit".

The mechanic was to do a full service including belts. When he arrived he swiftly had the engine cover off and diagnosed a seazed alternator, no problem, the normally free up with a bit of work. And the cam belt looked to be the original 12 year old one!

He didn't have the VVC belt as the car had come up as a non VVC, no problem he could get one, where was my local motor factors.

Happy that the car was in safe hands I went back to work. I finished 2 hours early at 4pm so came home, a little suprised that neither the mechanic or my son had rung to say the service was finished. I found out why when I got home. He had done everything, the alternator had been a bit of a mare but was now done
BUT
when he had gone to fire the car up with the new belts he had forgotten to remove the cam shaft lock tool so the belt had jumped and killed a couple of valves!

He was obviously not happy with himself so I put it down to experience, he will be repairing the valves and replacing the head gasket FOC (obviously) and even offered to fit the remaining brake caliper FOC by way of an appology.

I shall wait and see the outcome before name and shaming or name and praising, I'm sure it'll be ok in the end, he knows I've several MGs and spend a lot of time on MG forums where many a reputation can be harmed, he does a lot of head gaskets so doesn't want a bad reputaion to get around.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Re: Every cloud has a silver lining...... 13 years 3 weeks ago #23118

Jesus dude that's messed up. Hope he comes good for you.

Re: Every cloud has a silver lining...... 13 years 3 weeks ago #23120

Oh bloody hell! I'm sure the guy will sort it for you, as reputation is everything in that business!

Please keep us up to speed on developments.:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Re: Every cloud has a silver lining...... 13 years 3 weeks ago #23137

A Good Warning!
I think I will tie a "Remove Before Flight" tag on my cam locking tool before using it!:ohmy:

Re: Every cloud has a silver lining...... 13 years 3 weeks ago #23142

A Good Warning!
I think I will tie a "Remove Before Flight" tag on my cam locking tool before using it!:ohmy:

Tie the car keys to it so you can't start the car without removing them from the lock.

Re: Every cloud has a silver lining...... 13 years 3 weeks ago #23146

Not so good but I guess these things happen - were are all human :unsure:

As long as he puts it right then all should be fine:)
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Re: Every cloud has a silver lining...... 13 years 3 weeks ago #23155

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I'm sure he will do, but make sure he checks the pistons for damage.

Re: Every cloud has a silver lining...... 13 years 3 weeks ago #23170

Damaged pistons is a concern but as it happened at cranking speed I am optimistic.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT