Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Meg failed her MOT 13 years 2 weeks ago #23046

Well took her for her yearly medical and she failed!

Rust hole on the front subframe - right by the rear mount! Have to weld a patch as a temporary repair.

Sidelight bulb 'a bit dim'!!

Handbrake too high (rear pads need replacing apparently so that should sort this out).

Advisals on various bushes etc.

So - gonna weld a patch (what thickness metal do I have to use?) on the rust hole. Then remove the subframe from Fleur which is surprisingly solid. Remove everything - de-rust it, and then paint it with galvanising paint and top coat. Renew all bushes with poly. Then refit all the suspension parts from Fleur, then in the summer fit it to Meg....

That should make her last a lot longer!

Typically though I now have horrid flu and feel like crap so am really looking forward to welding!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Meg failed her MOT 13 years 2 weeks ago #23052

• David Aiketgate
  • Away
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
Sounds like a plan.:thumbsup:

I'm no expert on welding(far from it) but wouldn't you have to use a metal patch of the same gauge as the subframe?
David
:shrug:

Re: Meg failed her MOT 13 years 2 weeks ago #23065

Rekon so - I'll cut a bit of the rear from fleur i guess and use that.

Re: Meg failed her MOT 13 years 1 week ago #23330

OK got all the bits n bobs I need ready - very reasonable too - less than £40 for brake pads, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, brake cleaner and a bottle of engine flush! ( www.eurocarparts.com - picked them up from local branch).

NOw sun has gone in and the sky is ominous! GRRR Better get the welder and grinder out quick methinks!!!

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Re: Meg failed her MOT 13 years 1 week ago #23332

I have to do the same on the metro today not looking forward to welding upside down with an arc welder...lol
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: Meg failed her MOT 13 years 1 week ago #23336

• David Aiketgate
  • Away
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
Rather you than me.:lol:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Meg failed her MOT 13 years 1 week ago #23365

Finally completed it all at 8pm! My crappy Halfrauds gas-less MIG is a piece of old toot! The wire is is unevenly fed through that it is a lottery if you get a good weld or not! Eventually managed to get it all to stick properly and then ground the bloody welding down a bit and liberally applied stone shield. Hopefully it will pass.

Put the new rear pads on and bled all the brakes - that feels better.

Changed the air and fuel filters.

Just hope that a good dose of Redex will sort the uneven emissions!

Re: Meg failed her MOT 13 years 1 week ago #23372

They may have a grumble at you for putting the stone chip on it, your not ment to till after the re-test, but they should be ok if you let them have a good poke about
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: Meg failed her MOT 13 years 1 week ago #23375

They may have a grumble at you for putting the stone chip on it, your not ment to till after the re-test, but they should be ok if you let them have a good poke about

Oh bugger! He didn't say leave it - he can poke all he wants as I am going to change the subframe in the summer anyway - this is just a temporary patch.

Re: Meg failed her MOT 13 years 1 week ago #23380

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Good to know. Always wanted a welder...at least I know where NOT to go

Re: Meg failed her MOT 13 years 1 week ago #23381

Oh bugger! He didn't say leave it - he can poke all he wants as I am going to change the subframe in the summer anyway - this is just a temporary patch.

I agree with Jon, it might be worth scraping the stone chip off so the tester can see the patch, one of our club members needed the front chassis leg patched on his MGB for its Mot and the tester insisted that no underseal was applied before he re-tested! He passed it and it was recoated afterwards. Hope she passes :woohoo:

Last edit: Post by bryan young.

Re: Meg failed her MOT 13 years 1 week ago #23418

Woohoo - my less than gorgeous welding was apparently 'quite good' - she needs a good run though as her emissions were borderline!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT