Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Which oil 13 years 1 month ago #22969

Apologies if this has been asked before but Im due for an oil change and was wondering what the recommended oil for the TF135 is.
Have heard that Magnatec is the one to go for but wanted second opinions. Also, is there a big difference between A3/B3 and A3/B4 magnatec. Reason for asking is that Ive seen A3/B3 for £3 a litre at B&Q .
As always, thanks in advance for advice.
rog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Which oil 13 years 1 month ago #22971

A3/B3 Magnatec is the earlier type that came in different types for Diesel and petrol engines.

A3/ B4 Magnatec is the newer stuff that covers both diesel and Petrol engines.

Incidentally I was told that Castrol Magnatec was actually better than Castrol GTX Magnatec, but I can't confirm either way.

Magnatech is lauded on most MG forums.

Anyhoo, you need part synthetic 10w-40.
I used Mobil1 last oil change with no problem
David
:shrug:

Re: Which oil 13 years 4 weeks ago #22973

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
The magnetec seems to make the engine quieter on a VVC, not sure about the non VVCs.

You could try straight GTX as it is cheaper, basically the same oil without the sticky molecules.

Re: Which oil 13 years 4 weeks ago #22975

The magnetec seems to make the engine quieter on a VVC, not sure about the non VVCs.

You could try straight GTX as it is cheaper, basically the same oil without the sticky molecules.

Our Mpi seems to sound and perform identically, whether on Magnatec or the Mobil 1.:shrug:

As Clive says, the VVC seems to prefer the Magnatec.
David

Re: Which oil 13 years 4 weeks ago #23003

Thanks guys. Will probably go for the gtx this year then and see how it goes. Also, am I right in thinking that magnatec only comes (annoyingly) in 4 litres.

Re: Which oil 13 years 4 weeks ago #23007

Thanks guys. Will probably go for the gtx this year then and see how it goes. Also, am I right in thinking that magnatec only comes (annoyingly) in 4 litres.

I've seen it in litre containers as well somewhere.:yesnod:
David

Re: Which oil 13 years 4 weeks ago #23017

Yep 1 & 4 litre - I always grab a couple when Makro have their £15 specials on just in case!

Re: Which oil 13 years 4 weeks ago #23023

We can't get Magnatec here so I went with Castrol Syntec 5-40 which is a full synthetic.
The engine is running very quietly and smoothly.
I hope it stays that way!:)

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

Re: Which oil 13 years 3 weeks ago #23185

Finally got around to changing the oil today. Decided in the end to splash out on the magnatec.
Learned something new today ... so you can't really use the filler cap by the dipstick unless you want to spend all day pouring ... I found this out the hard way when I realised that what I was pouring down the funnel was going on the floor....what a dipstick!!
Anyway, at least it was my first opportunity to take the engine bay cover off for the 1st time and see what is actually in there.....and as the weather was nice it beat doing the work around the house for a while.

Re: Which oil 13 years 3 weeks ago #23187

Finally got around to changing the oil today. Decided in the end to splash out on the magnatec.
Learned something new today ... so you can't really use the filler cap by the dipstick unless you want to spend all day pouring ... I found this out the hard way when I realised that what I was pouring down the funnel was going on the floor....what a dipstick!!
Anyway, at least it was my first opportunity to take the engine bay cover off for the 1st time and see what is actually in there.....and as the weather was nice it beat doing the work around the house for a while.

It is possible to fill via that one., but you have to remove the dipstick ...and have a lot of patience!:rofl:
David

Re: Which oil 13 years 3 weeks ago #23194

I did think of removing the dipstick ... but I needed to be there to pour.
And talking of patience, surely all of those bolts on the engine cover aren't necessary :silly:

Re: Which oil 13 years 3 weeks ago #23196

I did think of removing the dipstick ... but I needed to be there to pour.:lol:
And talking of patience, surely all of those bolts on the engine cover aren't necessary :silly:

People do leave out many of the bolts... until the thing starts ratting and vibrating.:rofl:
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT