Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Window Adjustment. 13 years 3 months ago #21322

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
For a while now I have noticed that i am getting a small trickle of water past the top of the cheater on the passenger side when it rains.

Also the fit of the drivers window at the rear vertical edge was not good causing a lot of wind noise in my right ear when driving with the top up.(it does happen.)

So, with 1 philips and 1 flat blade screwdriver; 8, 10, and 13 mm sockets and wrench; and a 13mm ratchet spanner, I began adjusting the window glasses.

This diagram is essential too.

To get at all the adjuster nut/bolts you need to take off the door card.

I started on the passenger side first, The glass was a pretty good fit and really I just needed to adjust the cheater so that it was a better fit on the front top corner. Two 10mm bolts hold the cheater, and undoing them allows you to slide the cheater to get a good seal.
Ok, so that seemed to go OK.:shrug:

Now to the driver's side.
Now I'm trying to adjust the rear of the glass inwards to contact the seal more firmly.
Sounds simple, huh?
Hah!
Unfortunately, every adjustment affects every other setting, and I end up with the window not fitting at the front!:yesnod:

So I go back to basics, unloosen the cheater and pull it forward out of the way, Check and adjust D and E so the glass is central and level. OK.
Now I adjusted A and B so that the glass was coming up parallel to the seals. Yep, done.
Now I set C and F so the window stopped rising when it had slightly compressed the top seal.
Readjusted the cheater and tightened up.

Done, Jobs a good 'un.

Total time 1 hr.

Got out of car slammed driver's door - Window glass has missed every seal and is sitting outside the roof. What? How on Earth did that happen?

Right start again. repeat procedure.

Now I've got 1 cm gap at the back.

Start again...

Start again...

START AGAIN!!

Finally, I have a good seal around the entire window and it remains even opening and closing the door!

Wonderful, and it only took me... 6 ****** HOURS!
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Window Adjustment. 13 years 3 months ago #21330

hi david i to have been there lucky for me it only took 2 hrs to do both sides. its a case of trial and error . its best to adjust the bolts separetly to see what each one does then you know what one does what. oh it cost me a flat battery as well. i also packed my rubbers out a bit and havent had a leak since
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: Window Adjustment. 13 years 3 months ago #21335

lol, every time i have a play to get a better fit it makes it worse somewhere else :(

Re: Window Adjustment. 13 years 3 months ago #21337

Maybe you should have followed Ray's lead and packed your rubbers out. :ohmy:

Re: Window Adjustment. 13 years 3 months ago #21343

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

hi david i to have been there lucky for me it only took 2 hrs to do both sides. its a case of trial and error . its best to adjust the bolts separetly to see what each one does then you know what one does what. oh it cost me a flat battery as well. i also packed my rubbers out a bit and havent had a leak since

Up to now the windows have required little adjustment, so this is the first time a major adjustment was necessary.

i've adjusted the passenger side to pivot the top in before succesfully, and adjusted the height on both when I fitted the glass rear screen and it affected the fit of the roof, without a problem.

The difficulty was that the driver's side window fitted perfectly at the front but was just touching the rear vertical seal. i tried pivoting the rear in, but that made it worse so I thought it needed the entire glass moved in the channel. Do that and everything changes!:lol:

lol, every time i have a play to get a better fit it makes it worse somewhere else :(

Exactly!:lol:

Maybe you should have followed Ray's lead and packed your rubbers out. :ohmy:

Oh, don't worry, I did that as well!:rofl:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT