Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20583

oh i would love a garage i would live in it, there again the mrs would want to stick a wardrobe in it and before you know it i would want a double garage never mind one can only dream :P
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20599

I'd like a garage...........Period! :(

I know what you mean - perhaps we should start a group - call it 'The Al-frescos' or perhaps more accurately 'The Chilblains' :lol:

Exactly! I spent yesterday outside in the freezing fog trying to fix the windscreen wipers.
I was a bit nonplussed to discover that after drilling the offending balljoint and finding a suitable nut and bolt, when I came to reassemble the mechanism I found more damaged parts.

'Err, Sheila... you haven't been in the car and switched on the ignition at any point have you?'
'Yes I needed in the boot, so I switched the ignition on to use the boot pop button.'
'Ah, right...'

The wipers had tried to park, unfortunately the entire mechanism was in a heap in the bonnet well, and one of the balljoints was now snapped completely off.

So I've ordered an uprated replacement from Mike Satur.doh!

Note to self... Disconnect battery before commencing to dismantle parts of the car. Or hide the ignition keys!:rofl:
David
:shrug:

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20601

My son and I are about to try and install the Pipercross Viper - youmay hear the swearing all around the country :ohmy:

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20603

I'd like a garage...........Period! :(

I know what you mean - perhaps we should start a group - call it 'The Al-frescos' or perhaps more accurately 'The Chilblains' :lol:

Exactly! I spent yesterday outside in the freezing fog trying to fix the windscreen wipers.
I was a bit nonplussed to discover that after drilling the offending balljoint and finding a suitable nut and bolt, when I came to reassemble the mechanism I found more damaged parts.

'Err, Sheila... you haven't been in the car and switched on the ignition at any point have you?'
'Yes I needed in the boot, so I switched the ignition on to use the boot pop button.'
'Ah, right...'

The wipers had tried to park, unfortunately the entire mechanism was in a heap in the bonnet well, and one of the balljoints was now snapped completely off.

So I've ordered an uprated replacement from Mike Satur.doh!

Note to self... Disconnect battery before commencing to dismantle parts of the car. Or hide the ignition keys!:rofl:

Other halves - what would we do without them?

I'd certainly miss those immortal words - 'Oh that, didn't think you'd want that - I threw it out!' :lol:

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20611

I have to say that Mike Satur was up to his usual standard.:yesnod:

New mechanism ordered yesterday; arrived today!

Just got to fit it now.:lol:
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20670

Well, the new wiper mechanism is in. Phew!
You have to remove the entire wiper mechanism from the car to be able to get the old ball joints off from the motor crank and the spindle cranks.
Achieved by grinding off the lipped top and using a hammer and punch to knock the ball joint out

Earlier, when I was just trying to repair the balljoint on the driver's side wiper crank, I thought I would be able to grind off the lipped top to remove the balljoint without disassembling the front of the car.

I was really careful with the grinder because it's quite tight in there. Anyway I managed to grind the lip off succesfully and was just contemplating how to knock the balljoint out of the crank when I noticed something...

I had ground through the bonnet release cable! Doh! Double doh!!
I looked up the price of a new one and well... How much?

Anyway, so now I have a much shorter cable with the bonnet release hidden in the cabin.:rofl:

Luckily I have an electric bonnet release anyway, so the cable release is just for use in case of emergencies or flat battery etc.:yesnod::lol:
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20671

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
ohhh, electric bonnet release liking that :) , What did you use on the release?

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20673

Sure you don't want some hydrolics slapping in to save you lifting it :)

just an idea I had for mine
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20675

I used the same kit that you can get off ebay for the boot release.

Basically a 2 wire solenoid. I'll take some pics of the installation and pop them on here.
David

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20676

Honestly... you and your hydraulics!:rofl:
David

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20677

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX

And a modified key fob so i can open and close the bonnet and boot remotly of course, check my avatar i need a bonnet first though.

Lets see i can work out your idea, First remove any sane idea's, and we are left with.....

... using the bonnet as an air brake :woohoo:

edit: Seems my car mostly has bonnet on my avatar,

Last edit: Post by psymon.

Re: The day is lasting longer 13 years 3 months ago #20760

I have to say that Mike Satur was up to his usual standard.:yesnod:

New mechanism ordered yesterday; arrived today!

Just got to fit it now.:lol:

All done.:yesnod:

David

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT