Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Impact Driver 13 years 3 months ago #20401

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
Invalid or non-existent item ID.Having been stymied by a set of wheel nuts that just wouldn't undo on several occasions I decided to invest in one of these.

I have seen this one mentioned elsewhere and having now received and tried it, I can say that it made short work of the stubborn wheel nuts. It has also been used successfully to loosen that bottom pulley bolt during belt changes, balljoints and hub nuts.:yesnod:

ps Woops sorry guys...Looks like I got the last one of the current batch, but I'm sure he'll get some more.
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Impact Driver 13 years 3 months ago #20411

Invalid or non-existent item ID.looks like the same one

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Impact Driver 13 years 3 months ago #20429

Invalid or non-existent item ID.

Having been stymied by a set of wheel nuts that just wouldn't undo on several occasions I decided to invest in one of these.

I have seen this one mentioned elsewhere and having now received and tried it, I can say that it made short work of the stubborn wheel nuts. It has also been used successfully to loosen that bottom pulley bolt during belt changes, balljoints and hub nuts.:yesnod:

ps Woops sorry guys...Looks like I got the last one of the current batch, but I'm sure he'll get some more.

I have always put copper grease on the threads of the wheel nuts Never put them on dry!!! ~ i always torque them up to the correct pressures with a torque wrench, especially after the tyre fitters have welded them on with their air wrenches set on maximum!!!! i also have an extending wheel nut wrench and a good quality long socket. Be careful with the locking nuts as the impact guns can bugger the keys. Brown & Gammons are now selling spare keys for the MGF & TF locking nuts, providing you know the code. :whistle:

Re: Impact Driver 13 years 3 months ago #20432

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

Having been stymied by a set of wheel nuts that just wouldn't undo on several occasions I decided to invest in one of these.

I have always put copper grease on the threads of the wheel nuts Never put them on dry!!! ~ i always torque them up to the correct pressures with a torque wrench, especially after the tyre fitters have welded them on with their air wrenches set on maximum!!!! i also have an extending wheel nut wrench and a good quality long socket. Be careful with the locking nuts as the impact guns can bugger the keys. Brown & Gammons are now selling spare keys for the MGF & TF locking nuts, providing you know the code. :whistle:

I dumped the standard locking nuts ages ago. They appear to be made of very soft alloy, and the key is also poor quality. I swapped to McGards.:yesnod: Had to use a socket hammered on to get the originals off after the key disintegrated.:rofl:
David

Re: Impact Driver 13 years 3 months ago #20435

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
What / how does an impact driver do / work ? guessing its for the really stuborn nuts

Last edit: Post by psymon.

Re: Impact Driver 13 years 3 months ago #20439

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

What / how does an impact driver do / work ? guessing its for the really stuborn nuts

Yep. You can also use it to remove those stubborn disc retaining screws when replacing brakes.

It acts as a hammer/unscrewer.(made up word)
Imagine being able to hit a nut and undo it in one action.

This gadget does that for you. It also allows you to tighten nuts to a specified torque.
David

Re: Impact Driver 13 years 3 months ago #20443

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
Or like a Hamdriver :)

Re: Impact Driver 13 years 3 months ago #20446

I thought that was a Mississippi pig farmer :lol:

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

Re: Impact Driver 13 years 3 months ago #20454

I thought that was a Mississippi pig farmer :lol:

Or the man in the cab of a Danish bacon lorry.
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

Re: Impact Driver 13 years 3 months ago #20470

Got one of the 12v jobbies from Machinemart, fantastic bit of kit.:)

Re: Impact Driver 13 years 3 months ago #20482

I dumped the standard locking nuts ages ago. They appear to be made of very soft alloy, and the key is also poor quality. I swapped to McGards.:yesnod: Had to use a socket hammered on to get the originals off after the key disintegrated.:rofl:

I have McGards on my Honda as i too managed to damage the key and one nut on the original Honda ones.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.935 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT