Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19927

Auto Express have reported that the final production car has been completed and has now probably left Longbridge for a dealership. The company is now gearing up for the new era with the MG6 and MG3 supermini. The MG6 hatch is already in production there for its UK launch in March and a MG6 saloon will follow. Development of a sports saloon is also underway, called the MG7 and is likely to make its European debut in the next three years. The MG bosses have been reported to say "there will be a new sports car, but only once the brand is re-established" Could this be a TF replacement > :woohoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19929

made in china,final assembly in england. sorry no thanks, since buying my mg. i have read a few books on the mg history and its so sad to see this once great british sporting icon being made abroad. sorry but i can only see a further demise of this great icon,im sure the new owners mean well but the new mgs dont look like mgs. behonest do they look sporty ,cheap plastic.
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19932

made in china,final assembly in england. sorry no thanks, since buying my mg. i have read a few books on the mg history and its so sad to see this once great british sporting icon being made abroad. sorry but i can only see a further demise of this great icon,im sure the new owners mean well but the new mgs dont look like mgs. behonest do they look sporty ,cheap plastic.

I do tend to agree with you, although i know a few people that have the TF LE500 and the latest TF135 and they think they are great, with improvements to the stiff suspension and sloppy gearchange, both items that were not resolved by MGR due to cost. i have looked at both cars and think that the build quality is as good as the last UK TFs. I also saw the MG6 at MG Live in Silverstone and thought, like you that there was a lot of cheap tacky plastic and just wonder how many they will sell at the price.

Long live the British MG.:woohoo:

Re: MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19946

im going to go against the grain a bit here

i'll defiantly have a new MG in the future i reckon

i dont care where the parts are made, there is no such thing as a british or german car anymore, parts are all outsourced now and come form lord knows how many countries... i recall topgear mentioning that the toyota prius has parts form 30+ countries in it

the point is what the car feels like, as long as the new MGs feel good and dont let down the name (in which case the maker will fold anyway) then i dont care where the parts come from

i'm looking forward to a ZT type replacment, big exec car with a nice derv under the bonnet that will get 60+ mpg with a wrenty i can use monday to friday while the ZR-Turbo and TF-V-TEC stay safe in the garage :)
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Re: MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19949

Don't like Chinese
To much MsG no real taste.:unsure:

Re: MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19950

Don't like Chinese
To much MsG no real taste.:unsure:

:rofl:

And Sheila's allergic to MsG!:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19952

I think it could go one of two ways.
Either we get Chinese build quality and level of finish and MG ends up being pitched at the same level as Kia and Hyundai or we get good British design with a European quality finish at a bargain price like Seat or Skoda.

I'm hoping that if Jaguar don't get around to making the XF estate soon then MG will have something to replace our X-Type in 3 or 4 years time.

Anyone know where the engines are coming from? I know the N series is just a development of the K series but any new models will need a decent collection of petrol and diesel engines.
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

Last edit: Post by andy1970h.

Re: MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19958

I think it could go one of two ways.
Either we get Chinese build quality and level of finish and MG ends up being pitched at the same level as Kia and Hyundai or we get good British design with a European quality finish at a bargain price like Seat or Skoda.

I'm hoping that if Jaguar don't get around to making the XF estate soon then MG will have something to replace our X-Type in 3 or 4 years time.

Anyone know where the engines are coming from? I know the N series is just a development of the K series but any new models will need a decent collection of petrol and diesel engines.

Yes, there is an item in the article about future engines, will get the info and post it up. :dry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Re: MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19962

well the old powertrain (engines/gearboxs) that i worked in has been stripped knocked down and everything sent to china, they were in collaboration with us just before mg/powertrain went bust. they had all the techinical info from the k series tracks and had started copying and building the engine tracks in china from 2004. so i guess the engines will come from china.
you can only call it a british sports car if its been built here.sorry but dont care if it can do 70 mpg a mg will omly be a mg if its built here in blighty. not pre assembled
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19963

I have to disagree. Where is the line drawn?

Birthplace of Staff?
Design?
Production? (and you can break *that* down into parts aquisition, and components o said parts...)
Assembly?
Point of Sale?

A car that *isnt* seen as a tool by the owner (i.e - they dont care about what it is) is all about the "feel" you get from it. World distribution networks nowadays mean that its really only the original designers (Looks) and QA depts (finish) have any say into the cars final appearance.

IRONY - The car that is the most popular ZT? - The one with the GERMAN BMW engine.

There is no such thing as a "true" MG, as every person you meet has there own definition :blink:

New Models? - Will be rubbished by a lot of the current owners as "non-MG"
Z-Cars? - Rubbished by a lot of older drivers as "non-MG"
MGF / TF? - Rubbished by most MGB drivers
MG Metro / Maestro? - Rubbished by the "flat cap" community
MGBs? - Rubbished by most MGA drivers

Noticing a pattern here? :whistle:

Where a car is built has NOTHING to do with the final product, unless you decide to go all "BNP" and insist that every employee is a British citizen who can prove their place of birth.
MGF Register - North Wales Rep
TF135 in XPrimerGrey ;-) - Toyo manifold, TTMK3, ZnF Remap and stripes when Lee gets his ar*e in gear :) .... Oh, and a GREEN SUBFRAME!

Re: MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19966

Birthplace of Staff?
Design?
Production? (and you can break *that* down into parts aquisition, and components o said parts...)
Assembly?
Point of Sale?

A car that *isnt* seen as a tool by the owner (i.e - they dont care about what it is) is all about the "feel" you get from it. World distribution networks nowadays mean that its really only the original designers (Looks) and QA depts (finish) have any say into the cars final appearance.

IRONY - The car that is the most popular ZT? - The one with the GERMAN BMW engine.

There is no such thing as a "true" MG, as every person you meet has there own definition :blink:

Where a car is built has NOTHING to do with the final product, unless you decide to go all "BNP" and insist that every employee is a British citizen who can prove their place of birth.

my exact point, if it feels like an mg then im happy... it would be simply impossible to have an MG that would be made entirely in england, you'd have to set up an entire support network for every little part and the cars would end up costing more than astons and lets face it the whole point of MG was that they were affordable cars

in the modern world everything is global and the car industry more than others

i guarantee you there is no mainstream car model on sale today which is manufactured in one country from raw material to finished product

adam
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Re: MGTF PRODUCTION FINISHED 13 years 4 months ago #19968

Birthplace of Staff?
Design?
Assembly?
Point of Sale?

I really like your thinking and all of the comments you have made are so true, i am so pleased that my posting has provoked such substantial comments. The engines for the MG7 are coming from the General Motors Buick Regal's line up including their range topping 220bhp 2.0 litre petrol turbo. talking about engines, the K series engine was originally a Honda design!!:whistle:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT