Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19125

Here is my`enclosed air filter with the cold air feed pipe going to the nearside air intake.

Red and carbon fibre canister with the filter inside. It pulls cold air directly from the side vent, through the filter and straight into the throttle body.

if you look at this K&N kit, the filter cone is not enclosed. The cold air drawn through the pipework from the side vent just exits beside the open cone air filter that is attached to the throttle body.
K&N
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19168

I would go for your system, cold fresh air directly into the throttle body is far better than picking up the very very hot air in the engine compartment, i bet the "racing masters" have direct induction. :whistle:

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19171

I've fitted a BMC CDA enclosed filter to my ZS180 in since August and I am so pleased with the results.

I had already moved my battery to the boot so I put it where the battery should be, drawing air from the gap between the chassis rail and the inner wing. The OE set up has the filter in front of the radiator but drawing air through a resonator box in the front wing.

I had been monitering the air inlet temp via my Scangauge2 for sometime and had noted that with the OE set up by the radiator would act as a heat soak once the engine was warm and one was in slow traffic, easily reaching 50' and only dropping a little once moving quicker.

After fitting I was impressed to see that the inlet temp would quickly drop to about 5' above the precived ambiant temp, now I have an exterior temp gauge I can confirm this. It also sounds much nicer and seems to pull much better once the VIS starts to open.

I definatly plan something similar on the MGF.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19175

Here is my`enclosed air filter with the cold air feed pipe going to the nearside air intake.

Red and carbon fibre canister with the filter inside. It pulls cold air directly from the side vent, through the filter and straight into the throttle body.

if you look at this K&N kit, the filter cone is not enclosed. The cold air drawn through the pipework from the side vent just exits beside the open cone air filter that is attached to the throttle body.
K&N

So would something alon these lines work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARBON-FIBRE-COLD-AIR-INDUCTION-KIT-SYSTEM-3-76MM-BLUE-/310246826316?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483c26e14c

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19191

The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentI would want to know what the actual filter is made of. Is it cleanable foam, or does it need to be replaced? But it looks Ok, diameter wise.
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ned

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19389

The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sent

I would want to know what the actual filter is made of. Is it cleanable foam, or does it need to be replaced? But it looks Ok, diameter wise.

So if I get this, what else will I need? Another pipe from the filter to the throttle?

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19397

The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sent

I would want to know what the actual filter is made of. Is it cleanable foam, or does it need to be replaced? But it looks Ok, diameter wise.

So if I get this, what else will I need? Another pipe from the filter to the throttle?

Yes, you would need a 45degree angle pipe. Most people used silicone tubing in the colour of their choice.:lol:

I can't remember the diameter offhand but 76mm sounds familiar.
David

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19398

Could a "clue" be that the induction kit is 76mm??!! :evil:

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19399

OK, further research - You need a 70mm hose - some people recommend a 90degree bend, but I used a 45bend with no problem.
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ned

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19416

OK - I've done a bit more research, so I think I get this now :)

As usual gaining a bit of knowledge just leads to more questions :huh:

Pipercross make the Venom and Viper systems. The Venom appears to be their most recent addition and is also substantially cheaper. What's the difference please?

Will an alloy throttle body help things along on my old Mk1 as well?

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19420

Pipercross make the Venom and Viper systems. The Venom appears to be their most recent addition and is also substantially cheaper. What's the difference please?

I think the main difference is the Viper is carbon fibre and polished alloy, the Venom is polypropylene. Both would work fine.

The disadvantage of the plastic throttle bodies is distortion and sticking butterfly. If you dont have these problems, an alloy throttle body would be aesthetic more than practical benefit.
David

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19454

I think the main difference is the Viper is carbon fibre and polished alloy, the Venom is polypropylene. Both would work fine.

The disadvantage of the plastic throttle bodies is distortion and sticking butterfly. If you dont have these problems, an alloy throttle body would be aesthetic more than practical benefit.

I thought the alloy bodies were a larger internal diameter, of 52mm as opposed to 49mm in plastic. i also thought they gave a little bit of extra Ooomph!! Another thing is that the worm drive clip used to hold the induction pipe on causes the plastic body to become oval ( i have always disliked plastic bits in engines and 52mm alloy one is on my list of things to do. :whistle:

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT